Levels 1-4 (children 4 years +)
Summer Swim Classes
Levels 1, 2, 3, 4
In order to register you will create an account on the Somerville Parks and Recreation website, place the swim lesson(s) you desire in your cart, and proceed with your payment. Payment can be made online or brought to the Somerville Parks and Recreation office (19 Walnut St., Somerville). If the child has not taken lessons at the Kennedy Pool between October 2018-June 2019 you must visit the Kennedy Pool during family swim hours for the child to take a swim level test prior to registering. Please view the Class Policies before registering and our information below about choosing the right class level for your child. Thank you.
- 1 session of classes is 5 days in length (1 week) and meet EVERY DAY Monday through Friday.
- Children must be at least 4 years old prior to the start date to register for level 1-4 lessons, proof of age is required.
- The fee is for 1 week of classes; you may register and pay for as many sessions (weeks) as you choose after the start of your registration.
- All levels run for 45 minutes.
- Parents/guardians are required to bring their children on deck until attendance is taken. When the class begins we require all parents to proceed to the balcony where they remain for the duration of the class. You may not leave the premises. At the end of the swim class parents/guardians must return to the deck to pick-up their student(s).
- Classes will only run if there are a minimum of 5 children registered before the start date. Otherwise the class is cancelled. A credit or option to move to another time will be given.
- There are no lessons the week of July 1-5 because the pool is closed July 4th for Independence Day.
Registration is conducted on the Somerville Parks and Recreation Website:
Somerville resident registration begins Saturday, May 4, 2019 at 9am.
Non-Somerville resident registration begins Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 9am.
Cost per week:
Somerville resident fee is $50
Non-Somerville resident fee is $60
Session 1: Week 1
Classes run June 17-21, 2019 and are offered at 5:15pm only
Session 2: Week 2
Classes run June 24-28, 2019 and are offered at 5:15pm only
Session 3: Week 3
Classes run July 8- 12, 2019 and are offered at 10:15am OR 5:15pm
Session 4: Week 4
Classes run July 15-19, 2019 and are offered at 10:15am OR 5:15pm
Session 5: Week 5
Classes run July 22-26, 2019 and are offered at 10:15am OR 5:15pm
Session 6: Week 6
Classes run July 29- August 1, 2019 and are offered at 10:15am OR 5:15pm
Session 7: Week 7
Classes run August 5-9, 2019 and are offered at 10:15am OR 5:15pm
How do you choose the right swim class for your child?
- Waterbabies classes are separated by the students' age. The Infant class is for children 6-18 months, the toddler class is for children 19-30 months, and the Preschool classes are for children 2-4 years old.
- Level 1-4 students for children ages 4-16 years old.
- If your child has taken swim classes at the Kennedy Pool between October 2018-June 2019, please register for the same level they last took, not a level higher. You may register for the same level of your child's last lesson without taking a level test. If you believe your child's skills have progressed or declined, please come in for a level test. Please do not move your child up to the next level without first discussing the progress of your child's swimming with a manager.
- If the child has not taken lessons at the Kennedy Pool between October 2018-June 2019, regardless of swim level at another facility or previously at the Kennedy Pool, you must visit the Kennedy Pool during any scheduled family swim hours for the child to take a swim level test. The online registration will not allow you to register unless a level test has been imputed. No appointment is necessary.
Level 1-4 Class Policies
- All children must be 4 years old or older to register for levels 1-4. Parents will observe from the balcony. (You should have proof of age with you at the time of registration and your child's first class).
- Swim lessons level tests are given during family swim hours. Please see the calendar on the main web page for the current hours.
- Registration is conducted on the Somerville Parks and Recreation website only. Payment can be made online or brought to the Somerville Parks and Recreation office. Registration and payment can not be made at the Kennedy Pool.
- If the class you would like to register for is full, you may place yourself on a waiting list via the Somerville Parks and Recreation website.
- Classes will only run if there are a minimum of 5 children registered before the start date.
- We do not provide make-up classes if you can not attend a class.
- Click here to download our full list of Pool Policies
Follow this link for instructions on how to register for an activity on the Somerville Parks and Recreation Website. Somerville Parks and Recreation is located at 19 Walnut Street, Somerville, MA 02143.