Levels 1-4 (children 4 years +)
Summer Swim Classes
Levels 1 low, 1 medium, 1 high, 1 ½, 2, 3, 4
In order to register you must come down in person to the Kennedy Pool office. We only take checks for payment. Register in person at our office in the basement of the Kennedy School, 5 Cherry Street. Please view the Class Policies before registering and our information below about choosing the right class level for your child. Thank you.
- 1 session of classes is 5 days in length (1 week) and meet EVERY DAY Monday through Friday.
- Children must be at least 4 years old prior to the start date to register for level 1-4 lessons, proof of age is required.
- The fee is for 1 week of classes; you may register and pay for as many sessions (weeks) as you as choose after the start of your registration.
- In order to register above level 1 low, your child must take a level test during family swim or have taken a Kennedy Pool swim lesson within the last 6 months.
- All levels run for 45 minutes.
- Each person may only register children from one family per day. You must come back the following day to register children from a different family.
- Parents/guardians are required to bring their children on deck until attendance is taken. When the class begins we require all parents to proceed to the balcony where they remain for the duration of the class. You may not leave the premises. At the end of the swim class parents/guardians must return to the deck to pick-up their student(s).
- Classes will only run if there are a minimum of 5 children registered before the start date. Otherwise the class is cancelled. A credit or option to move to another time will be given.
- There are no lessons the week of July 3-7 because the pool is closed July 4th for Independence Day.
- In order to register you must come down to the pool and pay by check only.
Somerville resident registration begins Saturday, May 5, 2018 from 1-3:30pm.
Non-Somerville resident registration begins Saturday, May 12, 2018 from 1-3:30pm.
Somerville resident fee is $50
Non-Somerville resident fee is $60
We only take checks for payment.
Session 1: Week 1
Classes run June 18-22, 2018 and are offered at 5:15pm only
Session 2: Week 2
Classes run June 25-29, 2018 and are offered at 5:15pm only
Session 3: Week 3
Classes run July 9- 13, 2018 and are offered at 10:15am OR 5:15pm
Session 4: Week 4
Classes run July 16-20, 2018 and are offered at 10:15am OR 5:15pm
Session 5: Week 5
Classes run July 23-27, 2018 and are offered at 10:15am OR 5:15pm
Session 6: Week 6
Classes run July 30 - August 3, 2018 and are offered at 10:15am OR 5:15pm
Session 7: Week 7
Classes run August 6-10, 2018 and are offered at 10:15am OR 5:15pm
How do you choose the right swim class for your child?
Waterbabies classes are separated by the students' age. The Infant class is for children 6-18 months, the toddler class is for children 19-30 months, and the Preschool classes are for children 2-4 years old.
Level 1-4 students for children ages 4-16 years old. Level 1 low students are beginners who are not comfortable putting their heads under the water. If you believe your child's skill level is above a Level 1 low class, please visit the pool during family swim hours so we can conduct a swim test. No appointment is necessary.If your child has taken lessons at the Kennedy Pool (not another facility) within 6 months, you may register for the same level they last took, not a level higher. If it has been more than 6 months or you believe your child's skills have progressed or declined, please come in for a level test. We require this even when children have taken classes at other facilities. You may register for the same level of your child's last lesson if it is within the last 6 months, without taking a level test. Please do not move your child up to the next level without first discussing the progress of your child's swimming with a manager.
Level 1-4 Class Policies
All children must be 4 years old or older to register for levels 1-4. Parents will observe from the balcony. You should have proof of age with you at the time of registration and your child's first class).
NEW STUDENTS (or returning students with more than 6 months since your last lesson): If you believe your child is higher than a level 1 low, you must come down to the pool PRIOR to your child's lesson to take a swim level test, otherwise simply register for level 1 low. You may not register for above a level 1 low unless you have taken the swim level test.
RETURNING STUDENTS: If you have taken lessons within the last 6 months you must register your child for the last level they took at the Kennedy Pool. If you believe your child may have gained the skills to move up to the next level than you must come in for a swim level test PRIOR to registering to register for above a level 1 low. You may not place your child in a higher level without first gaining permission from management.
Swim lessons level tests are given during family swim hours. Please see the main web page for the current hours.
We do not take registration over the phone, nor do we hold a space without payment and full registration.
If the class you would like to register for is full, you may come to the pool OR call to be placed on a waiting list.
Click here to download our full list of Pool Policies