New elementary school students are always welcome in the Somerville Public Schools! Follow these easy steps to register for school.
Step 1: Picking your top three choices for schools for your child(ren)
The District offers tips to help parents/guardians learn about schools so they can make this decision.
Step 2: Complete school registration forms
- Pick up a school registration packet from the PIC, or download the School Registration Overview and all required forms from our website.
- Completely fill out the registration forms. You must provide your child's birth certificate as proof of age, medical records, and two proofs of Somerville residency. You can visit the PIC during normal business hours (Monday-Thursday from 8-4 and Friday from 10-4) or attend any of the community-based registration sessions to complete the paperwork with the help of the multilingual PIC staff.
- Provide a transfer slip if transferring from another school within Massachusetts.
- Provide a recent report card if transferring from another school outside of Massachusetts.
- If necessary complete testing to determine English skills. Program recommendation will be made according to test results. Parents can decide whether they prefer Structured English Immersion Program (SEIP) or mainstream classes.
- Provide updated medical records as soon as they are complete. Your child will not be allowed in school ember if updated medical records are not received at the PIC. If you need further assistance, contact the PIC nurse at 617-625-6600 x6967.
- Return the completed forms to the PIC either by mail, by dropping them off, or by completing in person with a PIC staff member.
Step 3: Waiting for school assignment
Students will receive their school assignment as quickly as it is available. If your child does not get a first choice school, you will be given the opportunity to have your child's name on a wait list for that school by completing a "Wait List Request Form" available at the PIC.