School buildings may be rented for community events. Fees and conditions do apply. Please review the Permit Guidelines for the Use of Public School Buildings to learn more about policies, procedures and expectations related to the rental and use of school buildings.
1. An officer or recognized leader of such groups must file the application. Thereafter, that officer or leader assumes the responsibility for the group while using the facility. Such responsibility includes:
- Checking with the Building Custodian upon entering and leaving the building.
- The proper conduct of the group.
- Clean-up of refreshments and area(s) used.
- Cost and repair of any damaged property caused by the group or any group member.
- Informing the group of fire drill procedures.
- Orderly entrance and exit of the group from premises.
- Periodic check of lavatory facilities, if used.
2. Meetings in the evening other than for school purposes shall not be open to children under 18 years of age unless supervised by adults at a ratio of 10 youngsters to 1 adult.
3. No smoking or alcohol shall be allowed in any school building under any circumstances, nor shall candy or refreshments of any kind be sold in or about the halls without permission. Absolutely no food or beverages shall be allowed in gymnasium areas. Food and beverages shall be allowed only in cafeteria or designated areas, as noted on permit.
4. No set up or rental of tables and chairs is available.
1. During the days and hours that buildings are not staffed with a regular custodial or building supervisor, applicant groups must assume the cost of custodial services, per fee schedule, unless otherwise decided by the School Committee. Additional fees apply for kitchen use.
2. The applicant group must assume the cost of SPS kitchen staff, if kitchen use is requested.
3. Use of the sound system at the SHS auditorium will require approval from the SPS Music Director. The applicant group must assume any fees associated with staff hired to operate the system.
4. The School Department may require the attendance of one or more policemen as in its judgment may be deemed necessary, the expense of the same to be paid by the applicant directly to the police, and such expense to be in addition to building use fees. See fee schedule attached.
5. Liability insurance in the amount of $300,000 - $1,000,000 may be required. This must be presented prior to occupancy.
6. Any damages caused by a group beyond normal use will be charged to the group. Failure to pay such damages will be reason to deny any further request from the group to use school property.
All payments must be made prior to event. Payment must be made by check or money order; no cash payments are accepted. Non-sufficient returned checks are subject to a $30.00 fee. Repeated submittal of non-sufficient returned checks forfeits an organization’s right to future permits. Failure to pay fees in a timely fashion forfeits an organization’s right to future permits.
1. This permit is not valid if the building is in unsuitable condition for any unforeseen reason. If school is cancelled due to snow on the day of the scheduled event or if there is a snow emergency in effect, the event will be cancelled and rescheduled. Snow emergency phone number is: (617) 628-SNOW.
2. Cancellation by permit holder must be done 24 hours prior to scheduled event. Without proper cancellation notification, all fees will be due and may forfeit an organization’s right to future permits.
1. Custodial Rate
The cost of provision of custodial service will be in accordance with the current negotiated contract. This will be an hourly rate with a minimum of four hours on each permit. Beyond four hours, it becomes an actual hourly rate.
2. Standard Rates for School Facilities are as follows. Please note rooms that display “School Use Only” in the fee category are not available for rent by the public.