About Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment
Under the leadership of Assistant Superintendent Dr. Vince McKay, the Somerville Public Schools offer the following services in curriculum, instruction and assessment across Grades PreK-12.
- A wide variety of subjects and course offerings in core content subjects (English, Math, Social Studies and Science) and specialist subjects (Art, Music, Library/Media Studies, Health/Physical Education and World Languages)
- Updated textbooks and instructional materials to support subjects and course offerings
- The availability of technology to supplement subjects and course offerings
- A required writing program with a portfolio of writing samples for each student in all grades
- Significant emphasis on research, critical thinking and problem solving across all subjects
- A Somerville Public Library partnership aligned with our year round reading program
- Opportunities for students to be engaged in the Arts through interdisciplinary projects
- Participation by each student in publishing programs such as The Young Authors' Program
- After-school programs that provide enrichment activities aligned with school system objectives
- Local assessment programs for each student in Grades 2 -9
- State testing programs in Grades 3-8, 10
- A year-round schedule of professional development for our teachers to enhance skills
Classroom instruction is closely aligned with efforts in the Special Education Department, English Language Learners Department, Office of Community Schools and Guidance and Testing Department to ensure students have the individual attention and the time they need to maximize their potential.