SomerStreets is the City of Somerville’s take on the internationally renowned Open Streets concept, closing busy city streets to vehicles and opening them up for cycling, walking, dancing, running, and other modes of activity. Through SomerStreets, the City and its community partners aim to promote and encourage easy access to physical activity, fresh foods, and reconnecting with neighborhoods and businesses and their unique cultural elements in a thriving urban environment.
The celebration along Somerville Ave. will feature a costume parade & contest for residents of all ages, 100-pound pumpkins carved by artists using power tools, an Oktoberfest beer garden area, Milk Row Cemetery tours, live music on three stages, skateboarding extravaganza, interactive activities and more.
Activities along Somerville Ave. include:
- Costume Parade (steps off from the corner of Somerville Ave. and Hawkins St. at 3 p.m.) – all are welcome to participate!
- Costume contests with prizes:
- Children’s & Adult Costume Contest starts at 3:30 p.m. at Conway Park stage
- Dog Costume Contest: 2-4 p.m. at River Dog Daycare
- Oktoberfest beer garden & live music (Washington St. to Bow St.), curated by Sally O’Brien’s & P.A.’s Lounge
- Live music on Conway Park Stage by Bolivia Canta, The Johnny Come Latelys and Devious Intentions
- Live music at 487 Somerville Ave. curated by Mass Ave. Music with bands including Mass Ave Music All*Stars and Dub Apocolypse
- Ghosts of Somerville at Milk Row Cemetery, conversations with the ghosts, see www.historicsomerville.org for more information
- Wrestling matches by the Boston League of Women Wrestlers
- Power Tool Pumpkin carving with Artisan’s Asylum
- Street hockey and other activities with the Somerville Recreation Department
- Halloween face painting and Henna designs
- Safe Trick-or-Treating at local businesses (marked with pumpkin window decal)
- Interactive activities with Parts & Crafts and Halloween themed art projects on the MUSCRAT Bus
- Skateboarding extravaganza with Maximum Hesh and OnBoard Boston
- Stilting workshop with Open Air Circus & parkour with Parkour Generations
- Coconut Tree Climbing Wall & Bouncy House
To ensure public safety at the event, the following road closures and parking bans will be in effect:
- Somerville Ave. (Hawkins St. to Spring St.): Closed to all vehicular traffic 12 p.m. to 7 p.m.; no parking 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- All side streets heading toward Somerville Ave. open to abutters only 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- MBTA buses will be rerouted from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m. For locations of rerouted bus stops, visit www.MBTA.com.
- No Parking along Somerville Ave., from Spring St. to Union Sq., from 10 a.m. to 6pm
For more information, visit www.somervillema.gov, or www.somervilleartscouncil.org.