SOMERVILLE - Celebrate the season at “Strike Up The Bands,” the September installment of the City’s SomerStreets festival, on Sunday, Sept 18, from 2 to 6 p.m. between School St. and Lowell St. on Highland Ave. SomerStreets is the City of Somerville’s take on the internationally renowned Open Streets concept, closing busy city streets to vehicles, and opening them up for cycling, walking, dancing, running, and other modes of activity. Through SomerStreets, the City and its community partners aim to promote and encourage easy access to physical activity, fresh foods, and reconnecting with neighborhoods and businesses and their unique cultural elements in a thriving urban environment.
Activities along Highland Ave. will include:
- Two stages of live music by 8 all-female bands including: Shepardess, Thrust Club, Puppy Problems, Viva Gina, Ukelele Club, American Echos, Lady Pills & Grace Givertz
- Wrestling matches by the Boston League of Women Wrestlers
- Aerial performance by Esh Circus Arts
- Cheesecake eating competition with 7ate9 Bakery
- Parkour with Parkour Generations
- Learn to walk on stilts with Open Air Circus
- Bouncy house, face painting and henna painting
- Large-format chalk drawing with Somerville Open Studios
- Craft activities on the MUSCRAT bus with the Beautiful Stuff Project;
- Explore a fire truck and ambulance;
- Hockey, football, and other kids’ activities with the Somerville Recreation Department;
- Craft vendors, community vendors, and local businesses;
- Local restaurants and food vendors!
- And more!
For more information, visit www.somervillema.gov.