Academic Opportunities for Argenziano Students
The Argenziano focuses on the whole child through social/emotional education, extracurricular programming, in-school enrichment, and instruction from our exceptional specialist teachers in music, art, library, and physical education.
Grade & Learning Opportunities
- K-3 Students may participate in a morning fitness program called BOKS.
- 2-4 The School's Music teacher runs a before-school junior chorus for students who are willing to participate enthusiastically.
- 3 All students take swimming lessons as part of physical education for part of the year in third grade.
- 3-5 Students may sign up for the Library club, which allows them to drop in to the Library in the mornings to study, check out books, or use computers.
- 4-8 All students may take string instrument classes or band instrument.
- 5 All 5th graders participate in CycleKids in Physical Education class. CycleKids is a bicycle skills and nutrition program that typically runs for between 6-8 weeks.
- 5-8 All students may join the School's after-school chorus.
- 6-8 Students in grades 6th through 8th will take Spanish language instruction. However, students may only enroll if they have achieved proficiency in BOTH English Language Arts and Math on the prior spring's MCAS test.
- 6-8 Middle Grades Aspiration Team and Middle Grades Project provide opportunities to develop student leadership, community outreach and 21st century skills.
- Pilot site for the ROARS Home Reading program with parent/guardian support.
- On-site garden for science and health instruction.
- Located next to Somerville's largest city-owned park, providing students access to extensives greens space for nature walks and recess.
- Project based learning, such as Colonial Day and Heritage Night.
- Named a Gold School in U.S. Healthier Schools challenge for excellence in food service, physical education, and nutrition.