The College and Career Readiness (CCR) Curriculum at Somerville High School
The CCR Curriculum at Somerville High School aims to prepare all students for post secondary success. The goal is for all students to understand the multiple paths they have after high school, allow students to identify the path that is best for them, and prepare students to take the necessary steps to be successful in that path. The curriculum is delivered in a variety of ways:
X Block Counselor Meetings
What are X Block Counselor Meetings? This year, counselors will meet with groups of students during X Block to deliver counseling, college, and career curriculum.
Why are we doing this? This gives the students a chance to hear vital information directly from their own counselors.
Counselors can deliver information in an efficient way to multiple students, but in groups that are small enough for students to feel comfortable asking questions. When piloting this model last year with 11th grade students, we received very positive feedback from students. 93% of students said they found the meeting helpful or learned something. 82% said this was the best way for them to learn college and career information
Events during School Day
Throughout the year, the School Counseling Department hosts events for students with College and Career Readiness Curriculum. Events for students include Post Secondary Day, College Experience Panel, and a Financial Aid completion event.
Events for Students and Families
The School Counseling Department also hosts College and Career Readiness Events for students and their families, including College & Career Day, Post HS Night, and the Post Secondary Fair.
Individual Meetings with counselors
Every student can expect to meet with their counselor individually every year to discuss college and career plans, in addition to academic and personal/social topics.
Topics discussed in individual meetings with counselor
- Student’s transition to high school
- Set academic, personal/social, and college/career goals for high school
- Review academics and school involvement
- Introduce Post Secondary Options
- Plan ahead for desired post secondary path (action steps for this year and action steps for 11th/12th grade)
- Review PSAT scores
- Develop a four-year plan for course selection
- Review academic performance and its role in post secondary options
- Review school involvement
- Discuss student’s post secondary plan and action steps for student,
- Discuss college planning tools (Naviance, College Board), PSAT/SAT/ACT, Letters of recommendation, Financial Aid
- Discuss steps for students who want to enter directly into a career or the military after high school.
- Student receives Post Secondary Planning Guide
- Review student’s post secondary plan
- Individualized post secondary planning with student. May include scholarship applications, college essay review, college list planning, recommendations, job applications, steps for enlisting in military, and other topics as necessary