We have a lot of resources and information available for new Somerville High School students.
Find answers to your questions
- Visit the SHS website! www.somerville.k12.ma.us/shs
- Read through the Student Handbook, Parent/ Guardian Guide or Program of Studies for information about expectations, policies and academics on the Guides & Handbooks page.
- Find an event on the district Calendar.
- Email your teachers by visiting the Staff Directory or the Academics Pages to find department staff.
- Talk to a school counselor.
- Email, call or stop by your House office and talk to your House Counselor or House Assistant Principal.
- Call the SHS front office (617) 625-6600, ext. 6100. Email Principal LaGambina or Associate Principal DeSimone.
- Stay up-to-date with the SHS Calendar.
Transition to High School Timeline
- Fall: Visit Somerville High School with your class, if facility construction permits
- January: SHS Intro to Course Selection Process night for families and students
- Introduction night for families not enrolled in Somerville Public Schools
- February 1 - March 15: Course selection
- February: Staff and students from Somerville High School Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs visit all K-8 schools
- February: Somerville High School Open House Tours during two mornings and afternoons. Families, community members, guardians are all welcome
- March 16: Career and Technical Education programs host the annual CTE Fair and Open House for families, students and community members
- June 1: Fall Sports Registration opens
- June 6: Information about Fall Sports at Somerville High School
Summer before High School
- Welcome letter from Principal LaGambina: coming soon.
- July 1 -26: Summer Success Program. This is a summer enrichment program designed to orient incoming 9th grade students to Somerville High School, it's faculty and their peers. Registration by June, Visit the Summer Learning page to learn more.
- August: Freshman Orientation. Register by June. Dates: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 or Wednesday, August 21, or Thursday, August 22, 2019, 10 AM to 1:30 PM. Learn about the high school schedule, daily expectations, classroom and building locations, and extracurricular opportunities from teachers and current students.
- August: Receive final schedules through ASPEN
- August: Fall Sports team tryouts for Boys Soccer, Girls Soccer, Cheerleading and Medical screenings. Some sports begin practice in August.
- August 16: Fall sports medical screening and clearance. Football at 10:00am (freshmen and returning first year players), 11:00am returning football players. Cheerleading at 12:00pm.
- August 16: First day of football practice.
- August 19-22: One day orientation program for incoming freshment. Students select which day to attend.
- August 19-22: Chearleading camp.
- August 19: Falls sports medical screening and clearance. Boys soccer at 10:00am (freshmen and first year players), 11:00am returning athletes. Girls soccer at 12:00pm (freshmen and first year players), 1:00pm returning athletes.
- August 20: Falls sports and medical screening clearance: Girls volleyball at 10:00am (freshmen and first year players), 11:00am returning athletes. Cross country at 12:00pm. Golf at 1:00pm.
- August 20: Freshman Orientation Barbecue, 5:00pm for Beacon House (A-Doq) and Elm House (Dor-Le).
- August 21: Freshman Orientation Barbecue, 5:00pm for Highland House (Li-Pi) and Broadway House (Pj-Z).
- Fall: Family Open House. Parents and guardians follow their students' schedule, meet teachers and experience a day in the life of their student.
- November: First quarterly report card issued
Daily Life at SHS
- Map of the School: Coming Soon!
- Career and Technical Programs at the Edgerly, 8 Bonair Street for 2019-2020
- Find vacation days, holidays and early release days on the 2019-2020 School Year Calendar
- School starts at 7:55am and ends at 2:32pm.
- School ends at 1:33pm on Early Release Days. Find the Early Release Days posted on the SHS Homepage
- Students' classes and lunch shifts are scheduled based on the Daily Schedule
- Free Breakfast for all students is served from 7:00am to 7:45am daily
- Lunch from the cafeteria is free for ALL students. Students use their ID to get their lunches. The Food and Nutrition Services provides a monthly menu.
- Enter the building from the main entrance pictured here on 81 Highland Ave, which sits behind the modular classrooms
- Phones are not allowed to be used in classrooms and at other school events during the day
Bus lines stopping at SHS
- 87 Clarendon Hill or Arlington Center - Lechmere via Somerville Avenue Map and Schedule
- 88 Clarendon Hill - Lechmere via Highland Avenue Map and Schedule
- 89 Clarendon Hill or Davis - Sullivan Map and Schedule
- 90 Davis - Wellington Map and Schedule
- Get a discount student bus pass from Ms. Allen in room 235
- Read course descriptions, and graduation and diploma requirements in the Program of Studies
- Find out about extra academic help, tutoring, grading and attendance policies and other student expectations in the Student Handbook
- Log on to ASPEN X2 to track student progress
- Log on to Google Applications with your Student ID number and password
- Find out the MCAS and State Testing Schedule
Health and Wellness
Mental Health Supports
- I'm having a bad day. Talk to your counselor.
- I'm having more than a bad day either physically or emotionally. The Teen Connection Center, administered by the Cambridge Health Alliance offers health services for teens. Call them at 617-575-5690.
- I saw someone get bullied. Report it anonymously online
- I'm having problems keeping up with the work. Start by talking to or emailing your teacher, but know that there are a lot of tutors and resources available to keep you on track. You can also join a Homework Help session in the library every Thursday from 2:45pm - 3:15pm.
- There are many programs in place at Somerville High School to support any student mental health needs. Visit the counseling page to learn more about SAFE, PATH, Redirect, and professional counseling opportunities.
Dental and Medical Health
- The Teen Connection Center, administered by the Cambridge Health Alliance offers health services for teens. Call them at 617-575-5690.
- Dental Care is available to students who need it. Please talk to your House counselor or assistant principal to learn more.
- Find more information at the School Nursing page.