Play the Family Talk Game!
Talking to Your Baby
- Talk about everything! What you and your baby are doing, seeing, feeling, touching and smelling.
- Talk about and name your baby's feelings
- Respond to your baby's gestures, looks, sounds and first words. Respond to their non-verbal communication.
- Talk to your baby in your home language.
Talking to Children during Early Childhood
- Use new words and use them often
- Name your child's feelings
- Encourage thinking with language. Ask your child why they think something happened. Ask your child how they did something. Ask what they think will happen next
- Look at books together and talk about them.
- Talk together in your home language
Talking to your School-aged children
- Ask your child what they know and what they are learning.
- Talk about making choices, using open-ended questions.
- Discuss with your child what they are reading.
- Put down your cellphone and give your child some one-on-one conversation time.
Talking to your Teenagers - coming soon