The Capuano Center's educational philosophy centers on providing students with extensive, varied, developmentally appropriate and fun learning opportunities that will help them grow intellectually, physically, socially and emotionally. The entire building is designed with early childhood in mind. Offered at the Capuano are the SMILE Pre-K Program, Early Childhood Intervention Program (ECIP) for Pre-K students and Kindergarten classrooms.
Read our Frequently Asked Questions for parents and guardians of Capuano Students.
Some of the Learning Opportunities Offered at the Capuano School
- Strong parent-teacher (home-school) connection
- Launch of Second Step social-emotional curriculum school-wide in 2016-2017
- Raising a Reader Partnership loans books to students on a weekly basis to read with family at home
- Library/media center open extended morning and afternoon hours for independent reading
- Recognized by the Green Guide as one of the top Green Schools in the nation
- Child-friendly interpretive exhibits created by TERC installed through the facility
- State-of-the-art soccer and playground areas.
- Community schools runs an after school fee-for-service program that delivers safe, developmentally appropriate enrichment curriculum until 5:30pm.
- Partnership with Somerville Recreation delivers Art a la Cart and Children at Play after-school programs, and the Smart Sports Development program for Kindergarten families
School report card
The Capuano Center regularly reports demographic and student progress data to the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE). This data is used to develop the annual No Child Left Behind progress report card for the Capuano. The most current Report Card for the Capuano Early Childhood Center can be found online.