Welcome to Special Education
The Special Education Department is responsible for ensuring all students who require special education services in order to maximize their learning are identified and their individualized learning needs are met in the least restrictive environment possible. Special Education Department staff work with teachers, administrators and families to ensure Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) for students are implemented with integrity.
Read our latest edition of Special Ed News to learn what's happening in the Somerville Special Education Department.
We invite you to share your comments or questions.
- Christine Trevisone, Special Education Director
- Allyson Bell, Assistant Special Education Director
- Susan Maday, Special Education Head at the Healey School
- Victoria Vendola, Special Education Head at the Kennedy School
- Krista Brother, Special Education Head at the Capuano School
Special Education Parent Advisory Council
Connect to other families whose children receive special education services in the Somerville Public Schools.
Study of SPS Special Education Services
In 2014-15, the Somerville Public Schools engaged the services of Public Consulting Group (PCG) Education to conduct an in-depth study of Special Education policies, procedures and practices across the District, and offer program improvement recommendations. The resulting Final Report and Summary of Recommendations from PCG are available below, and will be used to develop a strategy which ensures that the needs of special education students throughout the District are most effectively met.
In accordance with the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA 2004) and Massachusetts Special Education regulations 603 CMR 28.00, the Somerville Public Schools provides screenings and evaluations for all children residing in Somerville, MA between the ages of 3 and 21 to determine eligibility for special education services. Any parent, caregiver, or teacher may refer the student for evaluation if they suspect the presence of a disability that may preclude the child from progressing effectively in a regular education program. This notice applies to all children residing in Somerville, MA who attend either public or private schools. If you believe your child may be in need of special education services, please contact your child's Principal or a Special Education Department Head or Facilitator as listed below.
- Argenziano School: Barbara Kelley-Leahy, Facilitator - (617) 625-6600, x6836
- Brown School: Dorothy Scally, Facilitator - (617) 625-6688, x6835
- ECIP/Capuano Early Childhood Center: Krista Brother, Department Head - (617) 625-6600, x3624
- East Somerville Community School: Anne Casavant, Department Head - (617) 625-6600, x3781
- Healey School: Susan Maday, Department Head - (617) 625-6600, x6536
- Kennedy School: Victoria Vendola, Department Head - (617) 625-6600, x6619
- Next Wave/Full Circle Schools: Jack Haverty, Department Head - (617) 625-6600, x6820
- Somerville High School: Rachel Ziulkowski, Department Head - (617) 625-6600, x6188
- West Somerville Neighborhood School: Barbara Kelley-Leahy, Facilitator - (617) 625-6600, x6836
- Winter Hill Community Innovation School: Nancy Amin, Department Head - (617) 625-6600, x6751
- Out-of-District: Dorothy Scally, Facilitator - (617) 625-6600, x6835