Stay Connected with the Somerville Public Schools
Stay up-to-date with what's happening in the Somerville Public Schools and in our community by subscribing to CONNECTIONS: A Newsletter from the Somerville Public Schools. CONNECTIONS goes out weekly during the school year, except holidays. If you would like to receive CONNECTIONS, send us a note with "SUBCRIBE to CONNECTIONS" in the subject line at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
December 1, 2017
News & Notes
SHS Culinary Arts Wins at SAP Innovation Series Event, Headlines 2017 Assembly Row Holiday Schedule with Ice Sculpture Stroll at Assembly Square
Somerville High School (SHS) Culinary Arts students won a $1,000 grant earlier this week at the 2017 SAP Social Innovation Series event held at Northeastern University after pitching their idea to provide nutritional foods geared toward low income families. Somerville High School was the only comprehensive high school of the 12 schools selected to compete at the AdCap SAP Social Innovation Series event, offered in partnership with health and wellness advocate GENYOUth. There were more than 30 presentations pitched to a panel of judges; 10 presentations were each awarded a $1,000 grant.
The 5-hour innovation workshop is designed to provide students ages 13-17 with the opportunity to develop leadership and social entrepreneurial skills, be empowered to make a difference in school health and wellness, connect with mentors to design and pitch their big ideas, and earn funds to implement their ideas. Learn more about the Adventure Capital/SAP Social Innovation Series at https://www.adcapyouth.org/events/social-innovation.
The SHS Culinary Arts program will also highlight the 2017 Assembly Row Holiday Schedule with an Ice Sculpture Stroll on Friday, December 15, from 6:00-9:00pm. SHS Culinary Arts students will create ice sculptures at locations around Assembly Square and compete for prizes. Shoppers can watch the competition, vote for their favorite designs, and enjoy give-ways including candy canes and hot chocolate.
Additionally, Earls Kitchen + Bar will be donating a portion of the proceeds from special menu items to the Somerville High School Culinary Arts program. The Ice Sculpture Stroll kicks off a 2018 mentorship program between Earls Kitchen + Bar and the SHS Culinary Arts program. The mentorship program will include workshops and hands-on experiences for students in the Earls kitchen with professional chefs, as well as opportunities for professional growth in the field.
Learn More about SPS Programs through SNN’s “Create, Innovate & Educate”
Want to learn more about some of the programs supporting students in our community? Check out Somerville Neighborhood News’ (SNN) production of “Create, Innovate & Educate”. Find out about Early Education and Student Insights in the first two productions of this new series. SNN is a community-service production of Somerville Media Center.
Schools will be Buzzing with Added Excitement during 2017 Hour of Code
Schools across the district will be buzzing with some added excitement as students participate in the annual Hour of Code week-long event, joining students from around the world in this international movement (http://hourofcode.com/us). Every Somerville Public School student will experience the thrill of learning or expanding their computer programming skills, with a variety of programs and activities throughout the week. Among the special events are Code4Lunch on Monday, December 4th, at Somerville High School, which includes a lunchtime show & tell with Googlers VR Expeditions and Teachable Machines, and an afternoon of Hour of Code Sessions with Google Engineers! Special events will take place at schools throughout the district all week. Learn more at www.somerville.k12.ma.us/district-departments/library-media-arts/hour-code-special-events. There’s still time to join the fun! You don’t need to be an expert to volunteer and be part of this fun experience. You’ll be working alongside other parents, volunteers, and professionals who are passionate about computer science and committed to supporting youth. Register to volunteer at goo.gl/LiZvBd.
New Location for Next Wave/Full Circle Annual Tree Lot Fundraiser: Dec. 2-17
The 22nd Annual Holiday Tree Fundraiser hosted by Next Wave/Full Circle has a new home! Starting on Saturday, December 2nd and then every day through Sunday, December 17th, stop by the Cross Street side of the Edgerly Education Building located at the corner of Cross and Bonair Streets in East Somerville (a block down from the East Somerville Community School) to purchase a beautiful holiday tree or wreath, and support Somerville students at the same time. Proceeds from this fundraising event support student programs at Next Wave and Full Circle. The lot is run by Next Wave and Full Circle students and staff members, and is open the following dates and times:
Next Wave/Full Circle Tree Lot Hours (December 2-17, 2017):
- Weekdays (M-F): 4:00-8:00pm
- Saturdays, December 2 & 9: 10:00am to 8:00pm
- Saturday, December 16: 11:00am to 6:00pm
- Sundays, December 3, 10 & 17: 10:00am to 5:00pm
District Winter Concerts
Enjoy the sounds of the season and support our student musicians at upcoming Winter Concerts throughout the district.
- El Sistema Somerville Winter Concert: Tuesday, Dec. 12, 7:00pm at the ESCS Auditorium (50 Cross St.)
- Winter Hill School Winter Concert: Thursday, Dec. 14, 9:30-11:15am at the SHS Auditorium (81 Highland Ave.)
- All-City Middle School Winter Concert: Thursday, Dec. 14, 6:30pm at the SHS Auditorium
- East Somerville Community School Winter Concert: Tuesday, Dec. 19, 9:00-11:00am at the ESCS Auditorium
- Healey Grades 3-8 Winter Concert: Thursday, Dec. 21, 9:15-10:30am at the Healey Cafeteria (5 Meacham St.)
- Somerville High School Winter Concert: Thursday, Dec. 21, 6:30pm at the SHS Auditorium
- Argenziano Winter Concert: Friday, Dec. 22, 9:15-10:40am at the Argenziano School (290 Washington St.)
Songs Around the World Celebration: December 8
Families with young children birth to 6 years old are invited to join Maura Mendoza and the SFLC staff for a multilingual sing-along with songs in Spanish, Portuguese, English and more languages. The Songs Around the World Celebration takes place Friday, December 8th, 3:30-4:30pm in the Cummings School Gymnasium, located at 42 Prescott Street. This Celebration is sponsored in part by the Somerville Arts Council.
PK-8 Open Houses: December 13-15
We’re gearing up for PK and K registration for the upcoming school year! Learn about the Somerville Public Schools by touring a school or program. You’ll have an opportunity to meet the principal, talk to an SFLC Family and Community Liaison and to other parents. PK and K registration for the upcoming school year begins on Sat., January 13, 2018 online at www.somerville.k12.ma.us/registration for kindergarten, and www.somerville.k12.ma.us/preschool for PK. Online registration assistance will also be available at the Parent Information Center, 42 Prescott Street, starting Monday, January 15th. For more registration information, additional dates and timelines, visit www.somerville.k12.ma.us/pic or call (617) 625-6600, x6962.
Free Flu Shots Still Available
The City of Somerville Health and Human Services Department (HHS) is offering FREE flu shots for anyone age 4 and up, with or without health insurance. Free vaccines are still available. HHS is hosting a final clinic from 1:00-4:00pm at St. Benedict Parish (21 Hathorn St.) on Sunday, January 7th. You can also stop by the HHS office at City Hall Annex (50 Evergreen Ave.) during normal business hours to get your flu shot. Office is open MWF 8:30am-4:30pm, Th 8:30am-7:30pm, F 8:30am-12:30pm. If you do have health insurance, please bring your Health Insurance Card (this includes Medicare).
Upcoming School & District Events
Visit our website at www.somerville.k12.ma.us, and click on the "calendar" link at the top of the page for a complete list of all the activities happening at schools and in our District this month.
- Monday, December 4: 2017 Hour of Code Week kicks off at every school in the District
- Wednesday, December 6: Half-Day Wednesday for PK-8 students (PK dismissed at 11:30am; K-8 dismissed at noon)
- Wednesday, December 6, 9:00-10:00am: WSNS Cyber-Safety Assembly for Grades 6, 7, 8 (177 Powder House Blvd.)
- Wednesday, December 6: WSNS Spirit Day – Scrabble Day at the West Somerville Neighborhood School (177 Powder House Blvd.)
- Wednesday, December 6, 5:00-6:30pm: WSNS School Council Meeting (177 Powder House Blvd.)
- Wednesday, December 6, 6:00-7:15pm: Argenziano School Improvement Council Meeting (290 Washington St.)
- Thursday, December 7: Healey Make-up Picture Day
- Friday, December 8, 6:00-8:00pm: Brown School Craft Night at the West Somerville Neighborhood School (177 Powder House Blvd.)
- Friday, December 8: Healey Grade 5 Field Trip to Harvard Museum
- Monday, December 11, 6:30pm: Brown School Winter Concert at the Somerville High School Auditorium (81 Highland Ave.)
- Tuesday, December 12, 4:00-5:00pm: WSNS Middle Grades Committee Meeting (177 Powder House Blvd.)
- Tuesday, December 12, 7:00pm: El Sistema Somerville Winter Concert at the East Somerville Community School Auditorium (50 Cross St.)
- Wednesday-Friday, December 13-15, 8:30am-1:30pm: Open Houses at all elementary schools in the District and the Capuano Early Childhood Center
- Wednesday, December 13, 4:00-5:30pm: Healey School Site Council Meeting at the Healey School Library (5 Meacham St.)
- Thursday, December 14, 9:30-11:15am: Winter Hill Community Innovation School Winter Concert at the Somerville High School Auditorium (81 Highland Ave.)
- Thursday, December 14, 6:30pm: All-City Middle School Winter Concert at the Somerville High School Auditorium (81 Highland Ave.)
- Friday, December 15, 6:00-8:00pm: PTA Movie Night at the West Somerville Neighborhood School (177 Powder House Blvd.)
- Tuesday, December 19, 9:00-11:00am: ESCS Winter Concert at the East Somerville Community School Auditorium (50 Cross St.)
- Thursday, December 21, 9:15-10:30am: Healey Grades 3-8 Winter Concert at the Healey School Cafeteria (5 Meacham St.)
- Thursday, December 21, 6:30pm: SHS Winter Concert at the Somerville High School Auditorium (81 Highland Ave.)
- Friday, December 22, 9:15-10:40am: Argenziano Winter Concert at the Argenziano Cafeteria (290 Washington St.)
- Monday-Friday, December 25-29: NO SCHOOL – Winter Break
- Monday, January 1, 2018: NO SCHOOL – New Year’s Day
Upcoming Somerville Family Learning Collaborative Workshops and Events
Find a complete list of SFLC events, services, and workshops at www.somerville.k12.ma.us/families. The Somerville Family Learning Collaborative offers a rich array of workshops, programs, and events to support students and families. SFLC calendars of monthly activities and events will be available October through June. Multilingual flyers will be distributed two weeks prior to all SFLC events. Here’s a snapshot of SFLC programs “by the numbers” in 2016-17.
- Thursday, December 7, 6:00-8:00pm: Parent Advocacy Groups Panel at the East Somerville Community School Cafeteria (50 Cross St.). As part of the SFLC Parent English Classes offered in partnership with the Welcome Project, the SFLC will be hosting a panel of Parent Advocacy Groups in the city. To date, invited groups include the Welcome Project’s International Parents’ Group, SFLC’s IMPACT – Immigrant and Multilingual Parent Action Team, the Somerville Public Schools PTA, and the Somerville Special Education Parent Advisory Council. The panel will be in English with interpreters available in the district’s target languages (Portuguese, Spanish, and Haitian Creole).
- Friday, December 8, 3:30-4:30pm: Songs Around the World Celebration at the Cummings School Gymnasium (42 Prescott St.). Join Maura Mendoza and SFLC staff for a multilingual sing-along with songs in Spanish, Portuguese, English and more languages. This celebration is for families with young children birth to 6 years old. The Songs Around the World Celebration is sponsored in part by the Somerville Arts Council.
- Monday, December 11, 6:30-8:00pm: SSEPAC Open House and Social Hour at the Kennedy School Library (5 Cherry St.). Join the Somerville Special Education Parent Advisory Council for an open house and social hour. Meet and connect with parents/guardians and others involved with the special education process.
- Wednesday-Friday, December 13-15, 8:30am-1:30pm: Early Childhood and Elementary Open Houses. Pre-kindergarten and Kindergarten registration for the 2018-2019 school year starts in January! All PK-8 schools in the district will be hosting Open Houses to help you learn about our schools. Tour a school or program, meet the principal, talk with an SFLC Family and Community Liaison and with other parents at Somerville’s elementary schools and the Capuano Early Childhood Center. For information, dates and timelines about the upcoming PK and K registration, visit www.somerville.k12.ma.us/pic or call the Parent Information Center at (617) 625-6600, x6962.
- Thursday, December 14, 7:00-8:30pm: Help Me Grow: Developmental Screening at the Cummings School (42 Prescott St.). Join SFLC staff and fellow Somerville parents for a support group for families with young children who have special needs. Raising a child who does not always fit in can be challenging. This free, open-ended group will offer adults the opportunity to share joys, concerns, frustrations, questions and resources about their experiences. Facilitated by Amy Bamforth, LICSW.
Upcoming School Committee Meetings
Find the complete School Committee schedule, agendas and meeting minutes (as approved) online at www.somerville.k12.ma.us/school-committee.
- Monday, December 4, 6:00-7:00pm: Rules Management Subcommittee Meeting at the Aldermanic Chambers at City Hall (93 Highland Ave.)
- Monday, December 4, 7:00pm: Regular School Committee Meeting at the Aldermanic Chambers at City Hall (93 Highland Ave.)
- Wednesday, December 13, 6:30pm: Finance & Facilities Subcommittee Meeting at the Central Office Conference Room (8 Bonair St.)
- Monday, December 18, 7:00pm: Regular School Committee Meeting at the Aldermanic Chambers at City Hall (93 Highland Ave.)
Community News & Events
Tufts Family and Children’s Concert Series. Saturday, December 2, 1:00pm: Tufts Youth Philharmonic presents a children’s concert under the direction of John Page. The concert will feature music from “Pirates of the Caribbean” and Gilbert and Sullivan. Also on the program is music from Zelda and from “Nabucco” by Verdi. Event is free and open to the public. http://as.tufts.edu/music/musiccenter/events/saturdays.htm.
Somerville Tree Lighting Ceremony. The Somerville Annual Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony takes place Thursday, December 7th, 5:30pm at the City Hall Concourse (93 Highland Ave.). The ceremony includes a special visit from Santa, caroling by the Somerville Community Chorus and the Somerville High School Chorus, holiday music by the Somerville High School Band and Orchestra, and festive fun and holiday refreshments.
Somerville Illuminations Tour. Saturday, December 16. Residents and visitors are invited to the Somerville Arts Council’s Illuminations Tour. Tour guides will lead trolleys past some of the City’s most spectacular displays of holiday lights, sharing stories about the families that decorate and providing local historic trivia en route. Tours depart from the City Hall Concourse (93 Highland Ave.) every 45 minutes beginning at 4:30pm. Refreshments, choral music and craft activities will be available inside City Hall. Trolley Tour tickets will be available at the Blue Cloud Gallery, 713 Broadway, beginning Sunday, Dec. 3. Tickets are $15 for adults and $8 for children and seniors. For more information, visit www.somervilleartscouncil.org/illuminationstour.
Somerville Ceremonial Menorah Lighting. Tuesday, December 19, at 5:30pm with the Rabbi Eliana from Temple B’nai Brith. All members of the community are invited to join Mayor Curtatone and City staff for a brief ceremony and photo on the City Hall Concourse (93 Highland Ave.). The Menorah will be lit each night of Hanukkah, though the ceremony will officially take place on the final night of Hanukkah. Light refreshments will be served.
Youth Arts Arise. This FREE program provides students opportunities to explore creativity in a wide range of artistic mediums. Workshop themes encourage positive self-expression by exploring different cultures and traditions, embracing diversity while simultaneously working toward a better understanding of individual identity. Fall 2017 sessions run October 10-December 20 (excluding Nov. 21 and 22), Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 3:30-5:00pm. Visit http://artsatthearmory.org/learn/youth-arts-arise/ for more information or to download an application
Makerspace Mondays @ SCATV. A drop-in media maker lab in which youth are trained on studio equipment through structured workshops that gradually become more youth-driven. Two separate program sessions are available: 3-5pm time block for youth in grades 3-6, and a 5-7pm time block for youth in grade 7 and up. Cost is $65 for the entire school year; students can attend as many sessions as they like. Registration is OPEN. Apply here. Questions? Contact Heather McCormack at email@example.com or (617) 628-8826. Learn more about SCATV Youth Programming at: http://www.scatvsomerville.org/youth/.
Workshop Wednesdays @ SCATV. Workshop Wednesday classes teach specific media production skills, from audio and music production, to TV production, to stop motion animation and more! For youth 8 years and older regardless of ability or experience (except for the Media for Social Change class, which is for middle and high school students only). Several classes available. Cost is $200/session; financial assistance and full scholarship are available. Learn more about available classes, and register here. Questions? Contact Heather McCormack at firstname.lastname@example.org or (617) 628-8826. Learn more about SCATV Youth Programming at: http://www.scatvsomerville.org/youth/.
Somerville Parks & Recreation. Visit http://www.somervillerec.com/info/activities/default.aspx?type=activities to learn all about current programming offered by Somerville Parks & Recreation, and register online today.
Archive of this year's CONNECTIONS e-Newsletter:
- Connections: December 1, 2017
- Connections: November 17, 2017
- Connections: November 3, 2017
- Connections: October 20, 2017
- Connections: October 6, 2017
- Connections: September 22, 2017
- Connections: September 8, 2017
- Connections: August 31, 2017