Stay Connected with the Somerville Public Schools
Stay up-to-date with what's happening in the Somerville Public Schools and in our community by subscribing to CONNECTIONS: A Newsletter from the Somerville Public Schools. CONNECTIONS goes out weekly during the school year, except holidays. If you would like to receive CONNECTIONS, send us a note with "SUBCRIBE to CONNECTIONS" in the subject line at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
November 16, 2018
News & Notes
Workshops Highlight District K-5 Math Curriculum and Strategies to Support Math Learning at Home
Somerville Public School Math Coaches Christopher Ames, Andrea Palmer, and Katie Starbuck joined K-8 Curriculum Coordinator Uri Harel at two recent workshops whose aim was to show parents how the math curriculum is taught in grades K-5 in Somerville. At each workshop, the Math Coaches conducted a hands-on math lesson for parents and shared strategies parents can use to help support their child’s math learning at home. The first workshop was held at the Winter Hill Community Innovation School on the evening of November 7, and the second one took place the morning of November 15 at the Brown School. In all, more than 50 parents attended the workshops. To access more math resources, and to learn more about math curriculum development in the district, parents can check out https://www.tinyurl.com/SPSmathresources, as well as by clicking on Math in Somerville on the Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment website.
Snow Season Information
With the 2018-2019 Snow Season upon us, we want to make sure you know how to find all the information you need. How will you know if school has been cancelled? Parents and guardians were asked to supply contact information during registration. You will receive a phone call from the district and an email to let you know if school is closed. You can also check the SPS website at www.somerville.k12.ma.us and our social media sites (www.facebook.com/SomervillePublicSchools or @SvilleSchools on Twitter), as well as area news channels. Learn about the decision-making process around weather-related school cancellations at: www.somerville.k12.ma.us/school-closures.
You can also get more information from the City of Somerville:
- The City of Somerville sends out alerts on inclement weather days. Sign up at: www.somervillema.gov/alerts
- Visit the City’s website or social media sites for up-to-date information: www.somervillema.gov, www.facebook.com/SomervilleCity/ or @SomervilleCity on Twitter
- Find out where you can park in your neighborhood. This year is a park even snow season, so unless signage says otherwise, park on the even side of the street during snow emergencies. Starting this year, school lots will not be open for snow emergency parking, but municipal lots will be available. Find the off-street parking map for snow emergencies and get more information at the City of Somerville Snow Winter Guide webpage: www.somervillema.gov/snow.
- Sign up for the snow shoveling program. Whether you’re a teen looking to make some extra money this winter or a senior who wants to hire someone to dig you out, now is the time to apply for the Somerville snow shoveling program.
Argenziano Kindergartners Celebrate Literacy Month
It’s literacy month and Argenziano Kindergarteners celebrated by dressing up as their favorite book character, then sharing their books and costumes with the entire school community during a Character Day Parade.
Somerville Learning 2030 – A Community-wide Vision for Learning
Lend your voice to an important conversation about the future of learning and youth development in Somerville. Share your thoughts and ideas by completing a short survey, available at http://bit.ly/sl2030survey. Find out more about this city-wide initiative to learn about the community’s values when it comes to learning experiences for youth, and ways in which you can get involved in this process, from this recent blog post: http://www.somerville.k12.ma.us/blog/somerville-learning-2030.
Parent-teacher conferences continue after the Thanksgiving break. Here is the upcoming conference schedule:
- Tuesday, November 27 @ Argenziano School from 6:00-7:30pm
- Tuesday, November 27 @ East Somerville Community School from 6:00-7:30pm
- Wednesday, November 28 @ Brown School from 5:00-7:15pm
- Thursday, November 29 @ Capuano from 3:00-4:30pm AND 5:30-6:30pm
- Thursday, November 29 @ West Somerville Neighborhood School from 4:00-6:30pm
- Thursday, November 29 @ Kennedy School from 5:30-7:30pm
Argenziano PTA Holiday Craft Fair – November 30
The Argenziano School PTA hosts their fifth annual holiday craft fair featuring work by local artisans. The fair takes place Friday, November 30th, 6:30-8:30pm at the Argenziano school cafeteria (290 Washington St.). More than 30 vendors, many from the school community, will be selling handmade jewelry, ceramics, batiks, tote bags, greeting cards, ornaments, photography, soap, and candy. Admission to the craft fair is FREE and open to the general public. A raffle with items from all of the vendors will also be held. Proceeds from the event support student programs at the Argenziano. For more information about the fair, visit http://www.argenzianopta.org/.
Next Wave/Full Circle Tree Lot - November 30 through December 19
Get ready! The annual Next Wave/Full Circle Tree Lot will be open November 30th through December 19th. Stop by and pick up a holiday tree and/or wreath, and support Somerville youth. All proceeds from the Tree Lot sales go toward student programming. The Tree Lot will be located at the Full Circle Garden on Cross Street, between Otis and Bonair streets. The Lot is staffed by Next Wave/Full Circle students and staff and will be open from 4-8pm Mondays-Fridays, 10am-8pm Saturdays, and 10am-5pm on Sundays.
Upcoming School & District Events:
Visit www.somerville.k12.ma.us and click on the “calendar” link at the top of the page for a list of upcoming activities in our schools and in our District this month.
- Wednesday, November 21, 9:30-10:30am: College Experience Panel at the Somerville High School auditorium (81 Highland Ave.)
- Wednesday, November 21: WSNS PTA Spirit Day – Pajama Day
- Wednesday, November 21: Thanksgiving Break Begins at Noon – Half day of school
- Thursday-Friday, November 22-23: Thanksgiving Break – All schools and district offices CLOSED
- Monday-Wednesday, November 26-28: WSNS 6th Grade Trip to Nature’s Classroom
- Tuesday, November 27, 6:00-7:30pm: Argenziano Parent-Teacher Conferences (290 Washington St.)
- Tuesday, November 27, 6:00-7:30pm: East Somerville Community School Parent-Teacher Conferences (50 Cross St.)
- Wednesday, November 28, 5:00-7:15pm: Brown School Parent-Teacher Conferences (201 Willow)
- Wednesday, November 28, 6:00-8:00pm: SHS School Improvement Council Meeting at the Somerville High School library (81 Highland Ave.)
- Thursday, November 29: Argenziano School Pictures Make-up Day
- Thursday, November 29, 8:30am: Argenziano Superintendent Awards at the Argenziano Cafeteria (290 Washington St.
- Thursday, November 29, 3:00-4:30pm: Capuano Parent-Teacher Conferences (150 Glen St.)
- Thursday, November 29, 4:00-6:30pm: WSNS Parent-Teacher Conferences (177 Powder House Blvd.)
- Thursday, November 29, 5:30-6:30pm: Capuano Parent-Teacher Conferences (150 Glen St.)
- Thursday, November 29, 5:30-7:30pm: Kennedy Parent-Teacher Conferences (5 Cherry St.)
- Friday, November 30, 6:30-8:30pm: Argenziano PTA Holiday Craft Fair at the Argenziano School (290 Washington St.)
Upcoming School Committee Meetings:
Find the complete School Committee schedule, agendas and meeting minutes (as approved) online at www.somerville.k12.ma.us/school-committee.
- Monday, November 19, 6:00-7:00pm: Educational Programs and Instruction Subcommittee Meeting at the Board of Aldermen Chambers, City Hall (93 Highland Ave.)
- Monday, November 19, 7:00-9:00pm: Regular School Committee Meeting at the Board of Aldermen Chambers, City Hall (93 Highland Ave.)
- Wednesday, November 28, 7:00-9:00pm: School Committee Long Range Planning at the Central Office Main Conference Room (8 Bonair St., 2nd floor)
Upcoming Somerville Family Learning Collaborative Workshops and Events:
Find a complete list of SFLC events and workshops at www.somerville.k12.ma.us/families.
Family Literacy Month – Celebrate with a StoryWalk™. There are lots of ways to encourage literacy with children. Read a book together, visit the library, or go on a StoryWalk™! Storywalks will be available in outdoor locations across the city from November 1st through November 30th. Take a walk, read a story, and talk with your child about what you read – a fun way for families, caregivers, and educators to encourage outdoor activity as well as literacy. Visit a StoryWalk™ at the following locations and enjoy!
- This is the Way We Go to School – Capuano Early Childhood Center (150 Glen Street)
- Wild About Books – Central Hill Park (79 Highland Avenue)
- My Mother’s Sari – Capuano Early Childhood Center (150 Glen Street)
- Whoever You Are – Foss Park Playground (Broadway/McGrath Highway)
- From Head to Toe – Cummings School (42 Prescott Street)
- Nuestro Autobus – Hodgins-Curtin Park (Holland Street)
SFLC Playgroup Family Talk Story Time. Celebrate Family Literacy Month at our drop-in Playgroup with a special story time featuring children’s author Ellen Mayer. Join the SFLC Family Talk Campaign -- learn ways to make reading fun and how to engage your child in conversations about books. Wednesday, November 28, 10:00-10:30am at the Cummings School (42 Prescott St.)
SFLC Resource, Jobs and Legal Services Clinic. On Thursday, November 29, 5:00-7:00pm at the Cummings School (42 Prescott St.), meet representatives from the SFLC, city departments and Somerville Community Corporation (SCC) for information and resources, or make an appointment for a free legal consultation with representatives from Greater Boston Legal Services and the Harvard Immigration and Refugee Clinical Program (HIRC). Call (617) 625-6600 x6994 or email email@example.com for a legal consultation appointment. The SFLC Clothing Closet, a resource for free clothing for families in need, will be open.
- Friday, November 30, 6:30-8:30pm: Argenziano PTA Holiday Craft Fair at the Argenziano School (290 Washington St.)
- Monday, December 3, 8:45am: Superintendent Awards at the West Somerville Neighborhood School (177 Powder House Blvd.)
- Wednesday, December 5, 8:30am-1:30pm: PreK-Grade 8 Open Houses at schools throughout the district
- Thursday, December 6: WSNS 2nd Grade Trip to Velveteen Rabbit
- Thursday, December 6, 8:30am-1:30pm: PreK-Grade 8 Open Houses at schools throughout the district
- Thursday, December 6, 8:00pm: Highlander Theatre Company presents the musical RENT at the Somerville High School Auditorium (81 Highland Ave.)
- Friday, December 7: WSNS School Picture Make-up Day (177 Powder House Blvd.)
- Friday, December 7, 8:00am: Cramer Coffee Collab at the Healey School Library (5 Meacham St.)
- Friday, December 7, 8:30am-1:30pm: PreK-Grade 8 Open Houses at schools throughout the district
- Friday, December 7, 6:00-7:30pm: Brown School Craft Fair at the Winter Hill School (115 Sycamore)
- Friday, December 7, 7:00pm: Highlander Theatre Company presents the musical RENT at the Somerville High School Auditorium (81 Highland Ave.)
- Saturday, December 8, 2:00pm: Highlander Theatre Company presents the musical RENT at the Somerville High School Auditorium (81 Highland Ave.)
- Saturday, December 8, 7:00pm: Highlander Theatre Company presents the musical RENT at the Somerville High School Auditorium (81 Highland Ave.)
- Monday, December 10, 6:30-8:30pm: Somerville SEPAC ASD Training at the Somerville Public Library Auditorium, Central Branch (93 Highland Ave.)
Community News & Events
Somerville Road Runners Inaugural Community Day. Somerville Road Runners hosts its inaugural Community Day event on Saturday, November 17th, 9:00am-1:00pm at the East Somerville Community School (50 Cross Street). Enjoy FREE workshops on running, health, and motivation. Meet and run with local running and motivation celebrity Becca Pizzi, USA World Marathon Challenge winner. Free raffle entry for all new members featuring tons of great prizes. There will be something for everyone. Runners and non-runners, never-runners and non-yet-runners, kids and teens, adults and seniors, and anyone looking for a great local community are invited! Visit https://www.srr.org/community-day/ for more information.
Lyric’s Champs Autism Risk & Safety Management Training. Lyric’s Champs will host a complimentary training for the Autism Community including, but not limited to parents, caregivers, autism professionals, educators, and others who would like to learn about strategies to help manage Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) risks at home, school and in the community. The training takes place on Monday, December 3rd, 6:30-8:30pm at the West Somerville Neighborhood School cafeteria (177 Powder House Blvd.) RSVP to: info@LyricsChamps.org. For more information, contact Lyrics Champs at (617) 212-8674. Learn more about Lyrics Camps at: www.LyricsChamps.org.
SYHA Learn to Skate/Learn to Play Hockey Clinics. Clinics begin on Saturday, October 27th, with rolling registration throughout the Fall / Winter, and run every Saturday through February. Clinic details and registration information can be found at www.somervilleyouthhockey.org.
SYHA Somerville High School Alumni Hockey Game. Please join the SYHA community at the Somerville High School Alumni Hockey Game to benefit Somerville High School Hockey. Saturday, November 24th at 5pm at the Veterans Memorial Rink, 570 Somerville Ave. Raffles, silent auction, food and fun for the whole family. $5 in advance, $7 at the door. Contact JLHickey71@gmail.com for tickets and details.
Somerville Parks & Recreation. Visit http://www.somervillerec.com/info/activities/default.aspx?type=activities to learn all about the Somerville Parks & Recreation Department’s current programming.
City Holiday Events. The annual Christmas Tree lighting at City Hall and visit with Santa starts at 5:30pm on Thursday, December 6th. You can also enjoy some tasty holiday treats and entertainment by the Somerville High School (SHS) band and chorus, the Somerville Community Chorus, and El Sistema Somerville. On Sunday, December 9, a ceremonial Menorah lighting will be held at City Hall starting at 4:30pm with Rabbi Eliana from Temple B’nai Brith, Mayor Curtatone, and community members. The Menorah will also be lit each night of Hanukkah. On Saturday, December 15, take a tour of Somerville’s incredible holiday lights displays with the Somerville Arts Council’s annual Illuminations Tours. Tours leave from the SHS field house every 45 minutes starting at 4:30pm. Illuminations Tour tickets go on sale December 2 at Blue Cloud Gallery, 713 Broadway (cash or check only).
City & District Employment Opportunities
Consider joining a winning team! Current city and district opportunities include:
- Manager of Accounts Payable, Auditing Dept., City of Somerville
- Capital Projects Director, Capital Projects and Planning Dept., City of Somerville
- Director of Inspectional Services, Inspectional Services Dept., City of Somerville
- Environmental Health Coordinator, Health and Human Services Dept., City of Somerville
Visit https://www.somervillema.gov/jobs for a complete listing of current open positions in the City of Somerville.
- Substitute Teachers, District-wide, Somerville Public Schools
- Full-Time Lead Teacher, Community Schools Afterschool Program, Somerville Public Schools
- Part-time Lead Teacher, Community Schools Afterschool Program, Somerville Public Schools
- Part-time Assistant Teacher, Community Schools Afterschool Program, Somerville Public Schools
Visit https://www.schoolspring.com/jobs/?employer=16902 for a complete listing of current open positions in the Somerville Public Schools.
Archive of this year's CONNECTIONS e-Newsletter:
- Connections: November 16, 2018
- Connections: November 9, 2018
- Connections: November 2, 2018
- Connections: October 26, 2018
- Connections: October 12, 2018
- Connections: October 5, 2018
- Connections: September 27, 2018
- Connections: September 21, 2018
- Connections: September 14, 2018
- Connections: September 7, 2018
- Connections: August 30, 2018