Stay Connected with the Somerville Public Schools
Stay up-to-date with what's happening in the Somerville Public Schools and in our community by subscribing to CONNECTIONS: A Newsletter from the Somerville Public Schools. CONNECTIONS goes out weekly during the school year, except holidays. If you would like to receive CONNECTIONS, send us a note with "SUBCRIBE to CONNECTIONS" in the subject line at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
May 19, 2017
News & Notes
Winter Hill Awarded Pozen Prize for Innovative Schools
The Boston Foundation announced last week that the Winter Hill Community Innovation School was the winner of the 2017 Pozen Prize for Innovative Schools. Established in 2013 by Boston Foundation donors Robert and Elizabeth Pozen, the Pozen Prize recognizes and awards schools for innovative practices that lead to academic excellence and a quality learning environment for all students. The Pozen Prize expanded its scope this year to include innovative district schools. Winter Hill was one of five schools in the Greater Boston area invited to apply for this year’s award, all of whom had either innovation or pilot status, and is now the first district Innovation School to receive this distinction and the $75,000 award. Read the Boston Foundation’s announcement at: http://www.tbf.org/news-and-events/news/2017/may/winter-hill-community-innovation-school-wins-pozen-prize.
SHS Students Explore Careers in Science & Technology at Massport 2017 STEM Education Expo
A group of Somerville High School students were among the more than 1,700 students from throughout the Greater Boston area who attended the Aviation and Maritime STEM Education Expo at Boston Logan International Airport late last month. The Expo provided students with the opportunity to learn about career options in the aviation, maritime and transportation fields. Students explored nearly 40 displays and interacted with representatives from various aspects of the industries. The Expo had 15 aircraft on display, including a FedEx A310, smaller planes, a Boston MedFlight helicopter, numerous airport operations vehicles, as well as a Coast Guard vessel. In addition to several Massport departments, exhibitors also included the Museum of Science, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Massachusetts Air and Space Museum, Massachusetts State Police, Boston MedFlight and the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).
Students and Community Partners Recognized at 4th Annual STEM Awards
Nearly 180 students from Somerville High School were recognized at the 4th Annual Somerville High School STEM awards last week. The annual awards ceremony celebrates students’ commitment, growth, and excellence in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.
The evening included presentation of STEM Scholar, STEM Curiosity, STEM Service, and Excellence in MCAS awards, as well as recognition of the STEM Club MVPs, FIRST Robotics MVP, National Honor Societies, and STEM Partners. Students also received New England Math League Awards and Science & Engineering Fair Awards. The annual Presentation of Class Awards recognized students for their grit, growth, passion, and excellence in STEM courses. Congratulations to all the 2017 STEM Awards recipients!
Kennedy School Celebrates STEAM Week May 22-26
The Kennedy School kicks off a week-long celebration of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math next week with a STEAM-focused career fair on Monday as part of their 2017 STEAM Week event. More than 30 STEAM-related companies, organizations, and field experts will be on hand to offer every student at the school with a chance to learn about a variety of fields. The week-long celebration will include highlighting a “Maker of the Day” which will be announced by a fifth grade student each morning; daily essential questions related to STEAM; opportunity for students to dress like their favorite inventor, artist, maker, etc. on Wednesday; an upcycled Robot Art Challenge on Thursday; and a STEAM Maker Faire on Friday.
Vendors at Monday’s STEAM Career Fair, which takes place at the school from 1:15-2:30pm include: MIT Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research, SustainaVille, Bootstrap Compost, Somerville Farm to School, Groundwork Somerville, AutoDesk, SCATV Somerville Media Center, DESIGN squad Global (DSG) PBS Design Squad, Jef Dzekai (cartoonist, children’s book author and illustrator, and musician), MudFlat Studios, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, SMMA – Symmes Maini & McKee Associates, Dimagi software company, iRobot, DreamBox, Velir, Lesley University STEAM, Pegasystems, Somerville DPW Engineering Department, Seven Cycles, Society for Hispanic Engineers, IBM WatsonHealth, MASS Art Photography Lab, Wolfram Research, MIT Science Museum, Evaptainers – solution to post-harvest food spoilage in areas without access to traditional refrigeration, Clarendon Hill Consulting, State Street Global Advisors, Brad Hopper 3D, Dominic Ford – Geography, Gordon Associates, and Redd’s in Rozzie.
ESCS Celebrates “One Somerville” with Community-wide Block Party
The East Somerville Community School celebrated the community’s rich diversity with a One Somerville Block Party held at the school earlier this month. The party included games, blocks and art projects in the school gymnasium, music by the middle school bachata band, a 5th grade student meeting with the Mayor, Ms. Dinovis and school Assistant Principal Ms. Bonnell, posters made by K and 7th/8th grade students, and other activities focused on diversity and our power to create a safe and welcoming communities.
Upcoming Music Events
Music is in the air in the Somerville Public Schools! Join us in celebrating our student musicians as the school year winds down. Check our website calendar of events for a complete list of upcoming concerts. Coming up:
- Tuesday, May 23, 6:30pm: Brown School Spring Concert @ the SHS Auditorium (81 Highland Ave.)
- Thursday, May 25, 9:30am: Winter Hill Spring Concert @ the SHS Auditorium (81 Highland Ave.)
- Thursday, May 25, 6:30pm: Evening of Song Concert featuring the SHS Chorus, SHS Guitar Ensemble, and the All-City Middle School Chorus @ the SHS Auditorium (81 Highland Ave.)
- Friday, May 26, 9:15am: Argenziano Memorial Day Concert @ the Argenziano School (290 Washington St.)
- Friday, May 26, 9:15am: Healey K-2 Spring Concert @ the Healey School Cafeteria (5 Meacham St.)
Wed., May 24, 7:00pm: Somerville High School Annual Scholarship Awards Ceremony
The Somerville High School Counseling Department, Scholarship Foundation and the SHS community cordially invite you to join in celebrating Somerville High's graduating seniors at this annual scholarship awards ceremony on Wednesday, May 24th, starting at 7:00pm in the Somerville High School Auditorium.
Tuesday, June 6, 7:00pm - El Sistema Somerville: The First 5 Years Celebration Concert
Come out and celebrate the first 5 years of El Sistema Somerville in a spectacular concert on Tuesday, June 6 at 7:00PM in the East Somerville Community School auditorium. Featuring symphonic orchestra pieces from Latin America and Africa, this concert will showcase El Sistema students, teachers, and special guest artists from the East Somerville Carnaval in a celebration of diversity through music! Enjoy raffle prizes, student artwork, baked goods, and more in the cafeteria at the conclusion of the concert!
Upcoming School & District Events
Visit our website at www.somerville.k12.ma.us, and click on the "calendar" link at the top of the page for a complete list of all the activities happening at schools and in our District this month.
- Saturday, May 20, 12:30-2:30pm: Force and Motion Ramp Challenge at the Capuano EC Center (150 Glen St.)
- Sunday, May 21, 1:00pm: SHS Band, Color Guard and Drumline perform in Somerville Memorial Day Parade; groups meet at Somerville High School (81 Highland Ave.)
- Monday, May 22: Brown School 5th Grade Field Trip to Commonwealth Museum
- Monday, May 22, 6:00-8:00pm: Somerville Special Education Parent Advisory Council Meeting at the Kennedy School Library (5 Cherry St.)
- Monday, May 22, 7:00pm: Somerville PTA Council Meeting at the Winter Hill Cafeteria (115 Sycamore St.)
- Tuesday, May 23, 6:30-8:00pm: Brown School Spring Concert at the Somerville High School Auditorium (81 Highland Ave.)
- Wednesday, May 24: Half-Day for PK-8 (PK dismissed at 11:30am; K-8 dismissed at noon)
- Wednesday, May 24, 8:45am: Capuano Coffee Connections at the Capuano PTA Room (150 Glen St.)
- Wednesday, May 24, 7:00pm: Brown School Red Sox Night at Fenway Stadium
- Wednesday, May 24, 7:00pm: Somerville High School Annual Scholarship Awards Night at the SHS Auditorium (81 Highland Ave.)
- Thursday, May 25, 9:30am: WHCIS Spring Concert at the Somerville High School Auditorium (81 Highland Ave.). Grades K-5 and Middle School strings, band, chorus and world percussion.
- Thursday, May 25, 6:30pm: Evening of Song Concert at the Somerville High School Auditorium (81 Highland Ave.)
- Friday, May 26, 9:15am: Healey K-2 Spring Concert at the Healey School Cafeteria (5 Meacham St.)
- Friday, May 26, 9:15-10:30am: Argenziano Memorial Day Concert at the Argenziano Cafeteria (290 Washington St.)
- Monday, May 29: MEMORIAL DAY HOLIDAY – All Schools and District Offices Closed
Upcoming Somerville Family Learning Collaborative Workshops and Events
Find a complete list of SFLC events, services, and workshops at www.somerville.k12.ma.us/families.
- Ongoing: English Class Registration. Parents/guardians can practice and strengthen their English language skills while learning about and becoming more involved with their child’s education. SFLC works in partnership with The Welcome Project to offer classes in the morning and evening. Register by calling (617) 625-6600, x6702.
May 22, 6:00-8:00pm: Somerville Special Education Parent Advisory Council meeting. Join the SSEPAC for their end-of-year business meeting. Elections for SSEPAC officers will take place. SSEPAC engages parents/guardians in learning about the special education process and understanding IEP’s, networking with those who share similar experiences, and helping the Somerville education community to better understand, respect and include special needs children. Kennedy School (5 Cherry St.)
May 31, 11:00am-1:00pm: SFLC Community Resource and Legal Services Clinic. Questions about community resources? Need legal consultation around immigration issues? Looking for childcare? Meet representatives from the SFLC, City of Somerville Health and Human Services, and SomerViva for information and resources, or make an appointment for a free legal consultation with representatives from the Harvard Immigration and Refugee Clinical Program (HIRC). For a legal consultation appointment, please call Maura Mendoza at 617-615-6600 x6958 or email email@example.com. The SFLC Community Clothing Closet, a resource for free clothing for families in need, will be open. Room 12, Cummings School Building (42 Prescott St.)
Upcoming School Committee Meetings
Find the complete School Committee schedule, agendas and meeting minutes (as approved) online at www.somerville.k12.ma.us/school-committee.
- Tuesday, May 23, 7:00pm: Educational Programs & Instruction Subcommittee Meeting at the Central Office Conference Room (8 Bonair St.)
- Monday, June 12, 6:00pm: School Committee Rules Management Subcommittee Meeting at the Aldermanic Chambers, Somerville City Hall (93 Highland Ave.)
- Monday, June 12, 7:00pm: School Committee Regular Meeting at the Aldermanic Chambers, Somerville City Hall (93 Highland Ave.)
- Monday, June 19, 7:00pm: School Committee Regular Meeting at the Aldermanic Chambers, Somerville City Hall (93 Highland Ave.)
- Tuesday, June 20, 7:30pm: School Committee Educational Programs & Instruction Subcommittee Meeting at the Central Office Conference Room (8 Bonair St.)
Community News & Events
Somerville STEAM Social (S^3) Meetup. Thursday, May 25th, 8:30 p.m., Aeronaut Brewery, 14 Tyler Street, Somerville. Interested in supporting STEAM (Science, Arts, Technology, Engineering, & Math) activities in Somerville schools? Come share your ideas! https://www.facebook.com/SomervilleSteamSocial/ Like our page and you'll hear about future STEAM Social events.
LGBTQ Pride Flag Raising on SHS Concourse May 25, 2:45 p.m. Please join Mayor Joseph A. Curtatone and the Somerville High School Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) on Thursday, May 25, at 2:45 p.m., to raise the Pride flag in honor of LGBTQ Pride Month and LGBTQ Youth Pride. The ceremony will take place on the City Hall concourse, 93 Highland Ave. Mayor Curtatone, Somerville Director of Human Services Nancy Bacci, Somerville High School teacher and Gay/Straight Alliance Advisor Julia Post, and Liam Keefe, student representative from GSA will speak at the event. The event is open to the public. Community members are invited to join in celebrating LGBTQ youth and the diversity that makes Somerville great. For more information about the GSA and other LGBT programming, events and information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Somerville Parks & Recreation. Whether you’re looking for “Adventures in Space”, canoeing, basketball, boxing, swimming, soccer, robotics, or a variety of other classes, clinics, or programs, Somerville Parks & Recreation likely has you covered! Visit http://www.somervillerec.com/info/activities/default.aspx?type=activities to learn more about current and summer programming offered by Somerville Parks & Recreation, and register online today.
El Sistema Somerville Benefit Concert. El Sistema Somerville invites you to its benefit concert at Johnson String Instrument (1029 Chestnut Street in Newton Upper Falls, MA). Concert is Thursday, June 1st at 8:00pm.
Greater Boston El Sistema Showcase. Join El Sistema Somerville at the Greater Boston El Sistema Showcase on Saturday, June 3rd, 8:00am-4:00pm at the Strand Theatre (543 Columbia Rd. in Boston, MA).
SCATV Summer Youth Program Registration. SCATV Summer is back and better than ever! Fill out this form to register your child for one or more of our upcoming summer youth programs. All programs are for ages 8 and up, except for the Teen Movie Making camp which is geared towards teens only. Programs run Monday-Friday, from 9am-3pm. The cost per week is $200 (except for Wild Tales, which is free); full and partial scholarships available for those who qualify. Accepted campers will be contacted directly with a link to pay and complete registration. Questions? Contact Heather McCormack at email@example.com or 617-628-8826.
A look at some of the events/activities in the Somerville Public Schools that are taking place in the coming weeks.
- Thursday, June 1: SHS Music Department Awards Ceremony
- Thursday, June 1: El Sistema Somerville benefit concert at Johnson String Instrument
- Friday, June 2: SHS Class Day
- Friday, June 2: Brown School Field Day
- Friday, June 2: Capuano Kindergarten Spring Concert
- Friday, June 2: Kennedy Drama Club Production – You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown
- Saturday, June 3: Greater Boston El Sistema Showcase
- Saturday, June 3: Kennedy School Drama Club Production – You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown
- Monday, June 5: Somerville High School Graduation
- Wednesday, June 7: Half-Day for PK-8
- Wednesday, June 7: Kindergarten Transition Day
- Wednesday, June 7: WSNS School Council Meeting
- Wednesday, June 7: Full Circle Graduation
- Thursday, June 8: Argenziano Spring Concert #1
- Thursday, June 8: Sharing Our Stories Support Group
- Friday, June 9: Capuano Field Day
- Friday, June 9: Argenziano Spring Concert #2
- Tuesday, June 13: Healey Spring Concert, Grades 4-8
- Wednesday, June 14: Next Wave Graduation
- Wednesday, June 15: SCALE Graduation
- Friday, June 16: Brown School Grade 5 Moving Up Ceremony
- Wednesday, June 21: Last Day of School (half day for all students)
Archive of this year's CONNECTIONS e-Newsletter:
- Connections: September 2, 2016
- Connections: September 9, 2016
- Connections: September 16, 2016
- Connections: September 23, 2016
- Connections: October 7, 2016
- Connections: October 21, 2016
- Connections: October 28, 2016
- Connections: November 4, 2016
- Connections: November 18, 2016
- Connections: December 2, 2016
- Connections: December 9, 2016
- Connections: December 16, 2016
- Connections: January 6, 2017
- Connections: January 13, 2017
- Connections: February 3, 2017
- Connections: February 16, 2017
- Connections: March 3, 2017
- Connections: March 10, 2017
- Connections: March 17, 2017
- Connections: March 24, 2017
- Connections: March 31, 2017
- Connections: April 13, 2017
- Connections: May 5, 2017
- Connections: May 19, 2017