Stay Connected with the Somerville Public Schools
Stay up-to-date with what's happening in the Somerville Public Schools and in our community by subscribing to CONNECTIONS: A Newsletter from the Somerville Public Schools. CONNECTIONS goes out weekly during the school year, except holidays. If you would like to receive CONNECTIONS, send us a note with "SUBCRIBE to CONNECTIONS" in the subject line at: email@example.com.
January 11, 2019
News & Notes
Pre-K and Kindergarten Registration Information
As the halfway mark of the current school year approaches, registration for next year’s group of Somerville Public Schools (SPS) pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten students is set to begin this weekend. Online pre-K and Kindergarten registration for the 2019-2020 school year begins Saturday, January 12, 2019.
Families who may not have computer access at home or who would like assistance with the online registration process can attend an upcoming Registration Support drop-in session. Sessions will be held January 22nd and 23rd from 9:00am to 2:00pm at the Capuano Early Childhood Center computer lab (150 Glen St.), and on January 24th at the Healey School (5 Meacham St.) from 2:00-5:00pm. Parents can also contact the Parent Information Center (617-629-5670 or at 42 Prescott St.) for registration support.
All students who will be 4 years old by August 31, 2019 are eligible for the district’s preschool program. All students who will be 5 years old by that date are eligible for Kindergarten. Find out more about the pre-K and K registration process in this recent news release and by visiting the Parent Information Center website at www.somerville.k12.ma.us/pic.
School Committee Seeks Community Input on Powderhouse Studios Proposal
The Powderhouse Studios (PHS) proposal that would add a new school to the district reached the fourth and final stage of the Massachusetts Innovation School approval process. On January 7th, the Somerville Teachers Association (STA) ratified an agreement advancing the authorization of PHS as a new district school to the final step of the approval process. That vote activated a 60-day window for the School Committee to gather input from the community, deliberate, and vote on the school’s plan. If the School Committee votes to approve the plan, Powderhouse Studios would open as a new SPS innovation school that would serve up to 40 students ages 13-15 in the first year, in a year-round project-based school that would open its doors in September of 2019.
The School Committee is seeking the Somerville community’s input on this important proposal and will be hosting two public hearings and a community presentation in the coming weeks. The first public hearing is scheduled for January 23rd, 6:00pm at the East Somerville Community School and the second will take place on February 6, 6:00pm at the West Somerville Neighborhood School. The Community Presentation will take place on February 12th, 5:30pm at the Winter Hill Community Innovation School (115 Sycamore St.). Additional opportunities to learn about the proposal and provide input will be available through School Committee meetings and School Committee Winter Office Hours (see schedule under What’s Happening, below) or by contacting a School Committee representative. For more information, visit www.somerville.k12.ma.us/powderhouse-proposal.
SHS Highlanders, Medford Mustangs to Face Off at 3rd Annual Tufts Classic
The Somerville High School varsity boys and girls basketball teams will face off against the Medford Mustangs in a doubleheader on Sunday January 20th, early afternoon at Tufts University’s Cousens Gym. This year’s event will include a donation drive for area food banks. Read all about this rivalry matchup in a recent Tufts press release: https://now.tufts.edu/news-releases/medford-and-somerville-hs-basketball-teams-tip-2019-tufts-classic.
Where to Find Snow Day Information
The days are getting colder and before the snow arrives, we want to be sure you know where to find snow day information. Below are some tips to help you stay informed in the event of a snow day.
How will you know if school has been cancelled?
Parents and guardians were asked to supply contact information during registration. You will receive a phone call from the district and an email to let you know if school is closed. You can also check the SPS website: www.somerville.k12.ma.us, local television outlets, and the district social media sites (www.facebook.com/SomervillePublicSchools or @SvilleSchools).
- The City of Somerville sends out alerts on inclement weather days. Sign up here: www.somervillema.gov/alerts
- Visit the City's website or social media sites for up-to-date information: www.facebook.com/SomervilleCity/ or @SomervilleCity
- Parking is on the even side of the road during snow emergencies this season (unless otherwise posted). School parking lots will no longer be available to residents during snow emergencies. Find the off-street parking map for snow emergencies and get more information at the City’s Snow Winter Guide webpage: www.somervillema.gov/snow.
- Are you a SHS Highlander or Full Circle student looking to make some extra money? Sign up for the City of Somerville snow shoveling program and help out a senior. Learn more at: https://www.somervillema.gov/departments/programs/teen-snow-shoveling-program
- Learn about the decision-making process around calling a snow emergency at www.somerville.k12.ma.us/SchoolClosures.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration – Celebrating the Strength of Our Differences
Somerville’s annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Day celebration will take place at the East Somerville Community School (50 Cross St.) on Monday, January 21st, from 10:00 to 11:30am. Marcus Santos will emcee this year’s event – Celebrating the Strength of our Differences – and will feature musical performances by El Sistema Somerville and the Somerville High School World Percussion Ensemble, readings by the winners of the student essay contest, and a keynote address by Aba Taylor, a social justice educator, facilitator and organizer. This year, the Somerville Human Rights Commission will hold a Winter Clothing Drive during the event. Attendees are invited to bring gently used or new winter clothing for school-aged children. Donations will be distributed to the Somerville Family Learning Collaborative’s Clothing Closet.
Upcoming Winter Concerts
Enjoy the sounds of the season at a number of school winter concerts coming up in the next few weeks, and help us celebrate the outstanding work of our student musicians and music educators. Here are upcoming concerts:
Tuesday, January 15, 9:00-10:30am: Kennedy K-3 Winter Concert in the school cafeteria, featuring performances by all students in kindergarten to grade 3. Students will demonstrate the skills they have been learning in music class.
Wednesday, January 16, 9:00-10:30am: Kennedy 4-8 Winter Concert in the school cafeteria, featuring performances by all students in grades 4-8. There will be performances by all general music classes, orchestra, band, and chorus. Students will demonstrate the skills they have been learning in music class.
Thursday, January 17, 6:30-8:00pm: Beginner’s Instrumental Concert, at the Somerville High School Auditorium (81 Highland Ave.). Beginning student musicians from across the district meet and perform together, and learn about music-making opportunities in the district as they continue to develop their music-making skills.
Thursday, January 24, 8:45-10:45am: WSNS Winter Concert. The West Somerville Neighborhood School presents Songs of Peace and Community. Enjoy performances about peace and community by the K-6th grade classrooms, 4th, 5th, and 6th grade String & Band Ensembles, 7th and 8th grade Chorus, World Percussion, and Orchestra. Please contact Mr. Darrell with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
School Committee Winter Office Hours
The Somerville School Committee invites you to share your thoughts about the Somerville Public Schools, including a potential new school and upcoming district budget, during office hours hosted throughout the city from January 22 through February 10, 2019.
- Tuesday, January 22, 8:15-9:15am – School Committee Vice Chair Emily Ackman at East Somerville Community School Principal Coffee Hour, 50 Cross St.
- Thursday, January 24, 8:30-9:30am – School Committee Member Laura Pitone at Kennedy School Coffee Hour, 5 Cherry St.
- Saturday, January 26, 9:00-10:30am – School Committee Member Lee Erica Palmer (Spanish bilingual) with City Councilor Ben Ewen-Campen, Representative Denise Provost, and Senator Pat Jehlen at 17 Pitman Street (Lee’s house)
- Saturday, January 26, 12:00-1:30pm – School Committee Chair Carrie Normand with City Council President Katjana Ballantyne, Representative Christine Barber, and Senator Pat Jehlen at Angelina's Pizzeria, 230 Holland St.
- Sunday, January 27, 10:30am-noon – School Committee Member Laura Pitone with City Councilor Mark Niedergang at Armory Café, 191 Highland Ave.
- Tuesday, January 29, 7:30-8:30am – School Committee Member Dan Futrell at Bloc 11 Café, 11 Bow St.
- Wednesday, January 30, 8:00-9:00am – School Committee Member Lee Erica Palmer (Spanish bilingual) at Forge Bakery, 626 Somerville Ave.
- Thursday, January 31, 7:30-8:30am – School Committee Member Dan Futrell at The Biscuit, 406 Washington St.
- Thursday, January 31, 6:00-8:00pm – School Committee Member Andre Green with Representative Christine Barber at Tipping Cow, 415 Medford St.
- Friday, February 1, 8:15-9:30am – School Committee Chair Carrie Normand and School Committee Member Paula O'Sullivan at Soundbites, 704 Broadway
- Friday, February 1, 10:00-11:30am – School Committee Vice Chair Emily Ackman at Dunkin’, 220 Broadway (Spanish translation available)
- Tuesday, February 5, 9:00-11:00am – School Committee Member Andre Green at Winter Hill Brewing, 328 Broadway
- Friday, February 8, 10:00-11:30am – School Committee Vice Chair Emily Ackman with City Councilor Matthew McLaughlin & State Representative Mike Connolly at the Cross St. Senior Center, 165 Broadway
- Sunday, February 10, 10:30am-noon – School Committee Member Laura Pitone with City Councilor Mark Niedergang at Armory Café, 191 Highland Ave.
Upcoming School & District Events:
Visit www.somerville.k12.ma.us and click on the “calendar” link at the top of the page for a list of upcoming activities in our schools and in our District this month.
- Saturday, January 12: SPS Pre-K and Kindergarten Online Registration for the 2019-2020 school year begins (online)
- Tuesday, January 15, 9:00-10:30am: Kennedy School K-3 Winter Concert (5 Cherry St.)
- Tuesday, January 15: West Somerville Neighborhood School Grade 6 Trip to Museum of Science
- Tuesday, January 15, 5:30-7:00pm: ESCS School Council Meeting (50 Cross St.)
- Wednesday, January 16: Half-Day Wednesday for PK-8 (PK dismissed at 11:30am; K-8 dismissed at noon)
- Wednesday, January 16, 9:00-10:30am: Kennedy School 4-8 Winter Concert (5 Cherry St.)
- Thursday, January 17, 6:00-8:00pm: Serve & Inspire Volunteer Orientation at the Cummings School building (42 Prescott St.)
- Thursday, January 17, 6:30-8:00pm: Beginner’s Instrumental Concert at the Somerville High School Auditorium (81 Highland Ave.)
- Friday, January 18: West Somerville Neighborhood School Boostathon
- Monday, January 21: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – All Schools and District Offices Closed
Upcoming School Committee Meetings:
Find the complete School Committee schedule, agendas and meeting minutes (as approved) online at www.somerville.k12.ma.us/school-committee.
- Monday, January 14, 6:00-7:00pm: Rules Management Subcommittee Meeting at the Board of Aldermen Chambers, City Hall (93 Highland Ave.)
- Monday, January 14, 7:00pm: Regular School Committee Meeting at the Board of Aldermen Chambers, City Hall (93 Highland Ave.)
- Wednesday, January 16, 7:00pm: Long Range Planning Subcommittee Meeting at the Central Office Main Conference Room (8 Bonair St., 2nd floor)
Upcoming Somerville Family Learning Collaborative Workshops and Events:
Find a complete list of SFLC events and workshops at www.somerville.k12.ma.us/families.
SFLC January Drop-In Playgroups. Session 2 Drop-in Literacy Playgroups for children birth – 5 years old (children must be accompanied by an adult). Playgroups are at the Cummings School building (42 Prescott St.). Registration begins January 8th. Call (617) 62-6600, x6990 or register online at www.somerville.k12.ma.us/playgroups.
- Tuesdays, 3:00-4:30pm: January 8, 15, 22, 29 – Discover & Learn (Yellow Door)
- Wednesdays, 10:00-11:30am: January 9, 16, 23, 30 – Climb & Create (Pink Door)
- Thursdays, 10:00-11:30am: January 10, 17, 24, 31 – Discover & Learn (Yellow Door)
Serve and Inspire Volunteer Orientation. Join us Thursday, January 17th, 6:00-8:00pm at the Cummings School building (42 Prescott St.) to learn how you can support Somerville youth through volunteer opportunities in our district.
Special Education Basic Rights Workshop. Join the Somerville Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SSEPAC) and Diana Santiago from Massachusetts Advocates for Children on Wednesday, January 23rd, for a Spanish-language workshop that introduces participants to federal and state special education laws, the special education process, and parent and student rights. Workshop takes place at the East Somerville Community School (50 Cross St.), from 6:30-8:30pm. Spanish to English interpretation will be provided.
SFLC Community Resource Clinic. Do you have questions about community resources? Are you looking for childcare? Join us on Thursday, January 24th, 5:00-7:00pm at the Cummings School building (42 Prescott St.), for a Community Resource Clinic. Meet representatives from the SFLC, City of Somerville Health and Human Services, and SomerViva for information, resources and referrals. The SFLC Community Clothing Closet, a resource offering free clothing for families in need will be open. For more information, please contact Francia Reyes at email@example.com or (617) 625-6600, x6994.
Course Planning Night for 8th Grade Families. On Thursday, January 31, 6:00-7:00pm, all 8th grade parents and families in the district are invited to Somerville High School to learn about the high school course selection process and to meet their students’ future high school counselors. Interpretation will be provided. Event takes place at the SHS Auditorium (81 Highland Ave.)
- Monday, January 21: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – All Schools and District Offices Closed
- Wednesday, January 23, 1:30pm: Somerville High School Early Release Day
- Wednesday, January 23, 6:30-8:30pm: Special Education Basic Rights Workshop at the East Somerville Community School (50 Cross St.)
- Thursday, January 24, 8:45-10:45am: WSNS Winter Concert at the West Somerville Neighborhood School (177 Powder House Blvd.)
- Thursday, January 24, 5:00-7:00pm: SFLC Community Resource Clinic at the Cummings School (42 Prescott St.)
Community News & Events
Girl Scouts of Eastern MA “Snow Much Fun” Event. Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts invites you to join them for some frosty family fun this Sunday, January 13, 1:00-3:00pm at Connexion Church, located at 149 Broadway St. Enjoy fun activities, learn new skills, sip on hot cocoa, and learn about the Girl Scouts program and Girl Scout camps. You will also have an opportunity to enter your name for a free week of camp! RSVP to (844) 306-4737 or at www.bit.ly/snowmuchfunRSVP.
Somerville Parks & Recreation. Visit http://www.somervillerec.com/info/activities/default.aspx?type=activities to learn all about the Somerville Parks & Recreation Department’s current programming.
Boston Junior Derby. Boston Junior Derby invites all girls or non-binary kids ages 7-17 to join the fun! Intro session starts January 19, 2019. Roller skaters of all skill levels are welcome. Boston Roller Derby trains beginner and advanced skaters to have the skills and safety necessary for competing at the Junior roller derby level. Practices take place in Lynn, MA. For more information, visit http://www.bostonjuniorderby.com/ or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
City & District Employment Opportunities
Consider joining a winning team! Current city and district opportunities include:
- Deputy Director of Libraries, Libraries Dept., City of Somerville
- Spanish Language Liaison Assistant Internship, SomerViva: Office of Immigrant Affairs, City of Somerville
- Social Media Manager/Community Engagement Specialist, Communications and Community Engagement, City of Somerville
- Primary Water Operator, Water and Sewer Dept., City of Somerville
Visit https://www.somervillema.gov/jobs for a complete listing of current open positions in the City of Somerville.
- BOKS Program Lead Trainer/Assistant Trainer, Several Schools, Somerville Public Schools
- K-12 Supervisor of Health and Physical Education, Somerville Public Schools
- Director of Somerville Community Schools, Somerville Public Schools
- SHS Welcome Center Liaison, Somerville High School
Visit https://www.schoolspring.com/jobs/?employer=16902 for a complete listing of current open positions in the Somerville Public Schools.
Archive of this year's CONNECTIONS e-Newsletter:
- Connections: January 11, 2019
- Connections: January 4, 2019
- Connections: December 21, 2018
- Connections: December 14, 2018
- Connections: December 7, 2018
- Connections: November 30, 2018
- Connections: November 16, 2018
- Connections: November 9, 2018
- Connections: November 2, 2018
- Connections: October 26, 2018
- Connections: October 12, 2018
- Connections: October 5, 2018
- Connections: September 27, 2018
- Connections: September 21, 2018
- Connections: September 14, 2018
- Connections: September 7, 2018
- Connections: August 30, 2018