Stay Connected with the Somerville Public Schools
Stay up-to-date with what's happening in the Somerville Public Schools and in our community by subscribing to CONNECTIONS: A Newsletter from the Somerville Public Schools. CONNECTIONS goes out weekly during the school year, except holidays. If you would like to receive CONNECTIONS, send us a note with "SUBCRIBE to CONNECTIONS" in the subject line at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
December 26, 2017
News & Notes
Somerville Students Accepted into All-State Treble Chorus
Seventeen Somerville students were selected for the 2018 All-State Treble Chorus. Students in grades 4 through 6 are accepted through an audition process and will represent the best singers of their age group in the state. The concert, which takes place on March 3, 2018 at Boston’s Seaport Hotel, will be directed by Dr. Janet Galván, Director of Choral Activities at Ithaca College. Congratulations to the following Somerville Public Schools students!
Brown School: Samuel Richter (gr. 5), Isabela Membreno-Gomes (gr. 5), Serena Hunter Black (gr. 5), Madeline Zucca (gr. 5)
Winter Hill Community Innovation School: Pavel Flores Santiagos (gr. 4), Gerteasha Morelus (gr. 4), Rayssa DeOliveira (gr. 6)
East Somerville Community School: Sam Silverman (gr. 4), Maya Grandoit (gr. 4), Victoria Anastacio Sperandio (gr. 5)
Argenziano School: Jake Fellinger (gr. 6), Catherine Kiely-Ilch (gr. 5), Cybele Miller (gr. 5), Rafael Ronen (gr. 5), Amelia Laguerre (gr. 4), Piper MacDonald (gr. 4), Anarghya Raibanshi (gr. 4)
SHS Culinary Arts Students Present Ice Sculpture Stroll at Assembly Square
Earlier this month, students from the Somerville High School culinary arts program partnered with Assembly Square for the first Ice Sculpture Stroll. Children and shoppers were treated to eight holiday-themed ice sculptures, carefully carved by SHS students and displayed along Assembly Row. Shoppers had an opportunity to vote for their favorite designs. Catch a glimpse of these creative sculptures at: http://somerville.wickedlocal.com/photogallery/WL/20171219/NEWS/121909994/PH/1?start=2 and http://www.thesomervilletimes.com/archives/80583.
Students Showcase Sounds of the Season at Winter Concerts
Whether or not you were able to attend one of the many school winter concerts this December, you can enjoy the beautiful sounds of the season as often as you like. Visit our Vimeo site at https://vimeo.com/svilleschools/videos to catch a concert or two.
A few more school winter concerts are coming up in January. Visit our website calendar of events for dates and locations (www.somerville.k12.ma.us/events/calendar).
Free Flu Shots During December Break
The Somerville Health and Human Services (HHS) Department is offering free flu shots for students during December break! Please call 617-625-6600 ext. 4320 or ext. 6967 to schedule a time and day to come in. Vaccines will be offered Tuesday December 26th, Wednesday December 27th and Thursday December 28th from 9am – 3pm. Call with any questions!
Save the Date! Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Celebration
The 2018 Martin Luther King, Jr. Day celebration takes place Monday, January 15, 2018 from 10:00am to 11:30am at the East Somerville Community School auditorium. Mark your calendars and plan to attend this popular annual event where you’ll enjoy musical performances, student essayists, friendship, and more. Admission to this event is FREE. This year’s MLK Day event theme is “Growing Our Community.”
Upcoming School & District Events
Visit our website at www.somerville.k12.ma.us, and click on the "calendar" link at the top of the page for a complete list of all the activities happening at schools and in our District this month.
- Monday-Friday, December 25-29: NO SCHOOL – Winter Break
- Monday, January 1, 2018: NO SCHOOL – New Year’s Day
- Friday, January 5: Brown School Field Trip to MIT (Mrs. Jasper’s class)
- Friday, January 5, 8:45-9:15am: WSNS Student of the Month Award Presentation (177 Powder House Blvd.)
Upcoming Somerville Family Learning Collaborative Workshops and Events
Find a complete list of SFLC events, services, and workshops at www.somerville.k12.ma.us/families. The Somerville Family Learning Collaborative offers a rich array of workshops, programs, and events to support students and families. SFLC calendars of monthly activities and events will be available October through June. Multilingual flyers will be distributed two weeks prior to all SFLC events. Here’s a snapshot of SFLC programs “by the numbers” in 2016-17.
- January 2-25: January Drop-in Playgroups at the Cummings School (42 Prescott St.). Drop-in literacy playgroups for parents and their children birth to 5 years old. Visit www.somerville.k12.ma.us/families for details.
- January 11, 5:00-7:00pm: SFLC Community Resource Clinic @ the Cummings School (42 Prescott St.). Questions about community resources? Need legal consultation around immigration issues? Looking for childcare? Meet representatives from the SFLC, City of Somerville Health and Human Services, and SomerViva for information, resources and referrals. The SFLC Community Clothing Closet will be open.
- January 11, 7:00-8:30pm: Sharing Our Stories Support Group, at the Cummings School (42 Prescott St.). Join SFLC staff members and fellow Somerville parents for a support group for families with young children who have special needs. Raising a child who does not always fit in can be challenging. This free, open-ended group will offer adults the opportunity to share joys, concerns, frustrations, questions and resources about their experiences.
- January 22, 6:00-8:00pm: Special Education Basic Rights Training, at the Kennedy School (5 Cherry St.). Join the Somerville Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SSEPAC) for a workshop that introduces participants to the federal and state special education laws, the special education process, parent and student rights, and how to resolve differences with the school.
- January 31, 6:00-7:00pm: Course Planning Night for 8th Grade Families, at the Somerville High School Auditorium (81 Highland Ave.). All 8th grade parents, guardians, and families are invited to Somerville High School to learn about the high school course selection process and to meet your student’s future high school counselor.
Upcoming School Committee Meetings
Find the complete School Committee schedule, agendas and meeting minutes (as approved) online at www.somerville.k12.ma.us/school-committee.
- Monday, January 1, 5:00pm: 2018 School Committee Organizational Meeting at the Aldermanic Chambers at City Hall (93 Highland Ave.)
- Monday, January 1, 5:30pm: 2018 Inaugural Ceremony at the Somerville High School Auditorium (81 Highland Ave.)
- Monday, January 8, 6:00-7:00pm: Rules Management Subcommittee Meeting at the Aldermanic Chambers at City Hall (93 Highland Ave.)
- Monday, January 8, 7:00pm: Regular School Committee Meeting at the Aldermanic Chambers at City Hall (93 Highland Ave.)
- Wednesday, January 17, 6:30pm: Finance & Facilities Subcommittee Meeting at the Central Office Conference Room (8 Bonair St.)
- Monday, January 22, 7:00pm: Regular School Committee Meeting at the Aldermanic Chambers at City Hall (93 Highland Ave.)
Community News & Events
Somerville Parks & Recreation. Visit http://www.somervillerec.com/info/activities/default.aspx?type=activities to learn all about current programming offered by Somerville Parks & Recreation, and register online today.
242nd Grand Union Flag Raising Celebration. In its annual tradition, the City of Somerville will kick off the New Year on Monday, January 1, 2018, with a reenactment ceremony for the 242nd anniversary of the “Grand Union” flag-raising ceremony at Prospect Hill Park. A processional led by a re-enactor portraying General George Washington on horseback will leave from the City Hall Concourse at 11:30 a.m., followed by a ceremony at Prospect Hill Park. Learn more at: https://www.somervillema.gov/news/242nd-grand-union-flag-raising-prospect-hill-january-1-2018.
Somerville STEAM Social (S^3) Night!! (Science, Technology, Arts, Engineering, & Math). A night out for parents and community members interested in supporting STEAM activities in Somerville schools. Come share your ideas at Greentown Labs’ new location! Thursday, January 18, 2018, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. at Greentown Labs, 444 Somerville Ave. in Somerville. Sponsored by the Somerville Education Foundation. For up-to-date information, visit our Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/317072365366518/. Q? Contact: Marian Berkowitz email@example.com or Greg Nadeau firstname.lastname@example.org.
Archive of this year's CONNECTIONS e-Newsletter:
- Connections: December 26, 2017
- Connections: December 1, 2017
- Connections: November 17, 2017
- Connections: November 3, 2017
- Connections: October 20, 2017
- Connections: October 6, 2017
- Connections: September 22, 2017
- Connections: September 8, 2017
- Connections: August 31, 2017