Learning Opportunities for Brown Students
Built in 1900, the Brown School is the oldest elementary school in Somerville. The Brown offers a small school, family atmosphere with a strong emphasis on preparing students to excel academically and personally, providing them with the tools to become productive and positive members of society.
Some of the Learning Opportunities Offered at the Brown School
Grade & Learning Opportunities
- K-5 Library/Media Center with extended morning and afternoon hours for independent reading, research and class work.
- K-5 Features numerous teacher-led clubs, such as Roots and Shoots (service club), Book Club and Chorus.
- K-5 Knucklebones recess program that promotes healthy, fitness and fun, while maintaining a focus on their mission of "Inspiring athletics for all ages …for the love of play"
- 4-5 Extensive student participation in the string, band and chorus programs.
- Nature's Classroom learning experience for 6th grade students.
- Active Parent /Teacher Association that offers many special events and support of school programs.