SFLC Playgroups and Parent Support
These programs are FREE & open to all Somerville families with children birth to 5 years old.
Additional Climb & Create (2 yrs- 5 yrs) Drop-In Playgroups! (Pink Door)
Mondays 9:00am - 10:30am
Mondays 11:00am - 12:30pm
Wednesdays 10:00am - 11:30am
Discover & Learn (Birth - 5 yrs) Drop-In Playgroups! (Yellow Door)
Wednesdays 9:00am - 10:30am
No Registration required for Drop-In Playgroups
See our Session 1 Playgroup Schedule and Registration Form below!
Session 1: October 2, 2017 - December 8, 2017
- Registration is ongoing throughout the Session. Register today!
- See our New Session 1 Playgroup Schedule English
- See our New Session 1 Playgroup Schedule Spanish
- Registration Form Please see the top of the registration form for instructions on how to register online. We look forward to registering you and your family!
About our Playgroups & Support Groups
Discover & Learn Playgroups offer distinct areas of the room engaging babies to 5 year olds. There are a variety of experiences that support the development of children's literacy, math, science, music, art and social-emotional skills!
Language-Specific Groups offer families all the components of a Discover & Learn playgroup run in their native language!
Climb & Create Playgroups provide many opportunities for children 2 to 5 years old to develop their large motor skills while still offering opportunities for discovery and creativity!
PCHP Playgroups are for Somerville families enrolled in the Parent Child Home Program. It is an opportunity to meet other families in the program while learning through play!
Wondering Together Support Group includes playtime for children (12 months - 24 months) and adults together, plus a facilitated adult discussion time to explore toddlers' learning and development.
Families are welcome to register for one group per week, plus attend our Drop-In Groups. Drop-In Groups require no registration.
January Drop-In Playgroups
- Schedule will be posted at the end of November.
Session 2: February - May 2018
- Registration will be on Tuesday, January 9th & Wednesday, January 10th, 2018 from 9am to 12pm
- Runs from February 12, 2018 to May 18, 2018
- New schedule will be posted at the beginning of December.
- Registration form will be posted during the registration period.
How to Register
You can register in one of the following ways during the registration period:
- Download registration form to your computer, fill out on your computer, save it and email as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Call 617-625-6600 x6990
- Drop-In Playgroups require no registration.
Playgroups are a place to meet other parents and caregivers with infants, toddlers and preschool children in a language-rich environment. Each week, participants experience literacy support through play, conversation, singing and sharing books.
- Playgroups are open to all Somerville families with children birth to 5 years.
- Families may register for one playgroup per week plus attend Drop-In Groups.
- Two sessions per year are offered in English, Spanish, Portuguese and Nepalese.
- Discover & Learn Playgroups take place in the Cummings School 42 Prescott St. (Yellow Door)
- Climb & Create Drop-In Playgroups take place in the Cummings School 42 Prescott St. (Pink Door)
New Parents Group: Drop-In (for Adults and Infants-Birth to 12 months)
Fridays, 1:00 - 2:30 p.m. at the Cummings School, 42 Prescott St. (Yellow Door).The Somerville New Parents Group is open to ALL parents with babies from birth - 12 months old. It is a drop-in support group where families can make connections with each other, find resources and share ideas and support.
Wondering Together Parent / Toddler Support Group: 12 months to 24 months
Follows the playgroup registration schedule or you can call 617-625-6600 x6990 for more information. Fridays, 9:00am to 10:30am at the Cummings School, 42 Prescott St. (Yellow Door)
Wondering Together is open to all Somerville parents and toddlers from 12 - 24 months. This group combines parent discussion with a toddler playgroup. Toddlers play in a supervised learning environment and practice separating from their caregviers. Adult group time is held in the same room. Conversation topics will be generated both by particpants and facilitators.
Sharing Our Stories
Support Group for Families with Young Children with Special Needs
Raising a child who does not always fit in can be challenging. This free, open-ended group will offer adults the opportunity to share joys, concerns, frustrations, questions and resources about their experiences. Conversation in English, interpretation upon request. For more information, call 617-625-6600 x6990
SomerBaby Welcome Bag
SomerBaby Welcome Bags are offered to under-resourced families who may be challenged by poverty or language barriers. SomerBaby was developed in collaboration with the Kiwanis Club of Somerville. It focuses on welcoming newborns by providing parents of infants with information, resources and connections to help establish a support structure early in a child's life. Each Welcome Baby bag includes a Somerville Community Resource Guide, an informational booklet on child development, a stacking cups toy, the board book Babies/Los Bebes by Susan Caniszres and Pamela Chanko, and a handmade blanket. For more information: 617-625-6600 x6966 or email@example.com