Somerville High School Song
Watch a fun video full of scenes from high school and singing. Learn the Somerville High School Song.
History of Somerville High School
- Somerville Free High School opened in 1852.
- New high school opened in 1872 a new high school. This building is the current city hall.
- Somerville English High School opened in 1895 and still stands as the Central Wing, or B Building, of current high school. Provides classical education and general education.
- The Somerville Free High School became the Somerville Latin School, so Somerville had twin high schools next to each other on Central Hill. Somerville's twin high schools were presented in educational exhibits at the 1900 Paris World's Fair and the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair.
- In 1911, twin schools merge to become Somerville High School. Boys' Vocational High School opened in 1910. Girls' Vocational High School opened in 1911.
- Beginning in 1914, junior high school created from Forster Elementary School seventh and eighth grades.
- By 1924, Somerville had three junior high schools.
- In 1929 the Somerville Latin School torn down to build the East Wing. The West Wing was built. The Central Wing, which was the old English High, was remodeled. The Gym Building was erected.
- By 1983 all three junior high schools were closed. 9th grade moved to Somerville High School. Somerville Technical Trade High School merged with Somerville High School.
- In 1988, a construction project makes it a comprehensive high school.